Located on Chicago’s West and Southwest Side, Sinai Chicago is comprised of Mount Sinai Hospital, Holy Cross Hospital, Schwab Rehabilitation Hospital, Sinai Children’s Hospital, Sinai Community Institute, Sinai Medical Group, and Sinai Urban Health Institute.
The entities of Sinai Chicago collectively deliver a full range of quality inpatient and outpatient services, as well as a large number of innovative, community-based health, research and social service programs. We focus our collective depth of expertise and passion to improve the health of the 1.5 million people who live in our diverse service area. With our team of dedicated caregivers, Sinai Health System is committed to building stronger, healthier communities.
A partner with the Jewish United Fund in serving our community
Spanish Medical Interpreter
GENERAL SUMMARY/BASIC PURPOSE OF JOB:
Responsible for conducting accurate medical and general interpreting for the patient care staff, patients, their families, and visitors; through the appropriate interpreter technique training have the ability to facilitate a two-person conversation in a triadic relationship; acts as a cultural consultant to staff, assesses and monitors the patients understandings of the information conveyed and keeps medical staff informed as to the level of that understanding; and provides written material related to patient care translated from English to Spanish or appropriate language and visa versa to the attention of indicated department and when necessary will provide the translation services.
Essential Functions and Duties:
- Conducts accurate medical and general interpretation for patient care staff, patients and their families. Will not delete, add or edit message being conveyed to either party.
- Acts as liaison between hospital staff and patients in interpreting questions, directions and procedures.
- Participates when necessary in patient and family medical conferences when patient and/or family and limited English speaking.
- Conveys information verbally and written for patient admissions, discharges, and registration procedures.
- Participates in patient education programs when called upon by staff, patients and/or their families.(i.e. diabetes, nutrition, use of heart monitor )
- Records daily interpretation encounters by entering data into system. This is used for statistical reporting.
- Assists physicians, nurses, social workers, and other medical staff in the assessment of various situations that may be culturally different.
- Facilitates access to hospital and community resources for limited English speaking patients.
- Cooperates and maintains the quality of service provided to our patients by being flexible in providing coverage for vacation, sick leave, and emergencies.
- Refers calls for other languages to the appropriate interpreter.
- May provide interpreter training in new employee orientation.
- May need to occasionally translate hospital written material to Spanish or appropriate language, for limited English speaking patients.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Associates degree or a Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Two to three years’ experience providing interpreter services in a healthcare setting, including experience with related documentation preferred.
- Proven fluency in Spanish or appropriate language(s) and English.
- Extensive knowledge of medical terminology.
- Must be cognizant of cultural and perceptual factors that may have an effect on patient treatments and communication.
- Interpersonal skills are required with strong orientation to customer service.
- Ability to empathize with patients while safeguarding the interests of the hospital.
- Fluent with computer software such as, MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and Meditech, preferred.
REQUIRED LICENSES, CERTIFICATES, REGISTRATIONS:
Successful completion of one of the following:
- A Medical Interpreting Techniques training (200 hrs.) Certificate of Completion from an academic institution or approved and established medical interpreter agency.
- Successful completion of an Interpreting Certificate Program (100 hours) along with a medical terminology competency administered by designated Sinai staff.
If this describes you, then apply today for immediate consideration.
Sinai Health System is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, age, gender identity, gender expression, sex/gender, marital status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, medical condition, use of a guide dog or service animal, military/veteran status, citizenship status, basis of genetic information, or any other group protected by law.
Click Here To Apply