General Summary: An exempt position responsible for providing primary care services, including assessing, diagnosing, prescribing, treating and educating patients. Work closely with physicians and other clinicians in a team approach to patient care.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
1. Reviews lab results, x-rays and MRI/CT results prior to entering patient exam room.
2. Takes patient history and records the information in the patient’s chart, adhering to regulations, policies and/or clinical guidelines.
3. Confers with physicians about new patient’s findings and potential diagnosis and treatment before they see each patient.
4. Obtains needed equipment for exam room procedures.
5. Administers therapeutic injections and performs minor procedures as needed.
6. Reviews pro-operative instructions and explains the surgical process to patients.
7. Provides diagnosis and treatment services to established patients and postoperative patients.
8. Prescribes medications, treatments and immunizations in accordance with physician protocols.
9. Formulates and updates patient care plans; consults with physicians as needed.
10. Orders pre-operative tests, CT scans and MRIs.
11. Performs patient education duties, shows surgical videos, hands out brochures, directs patients to specific Internet sites and recommends appropriate community resources.
12. Oversees Medical Assistant’s preparation of exam rooms, including re-stocking of treatment areas.
13. Returns patient phone messages at designated times through the day; documents action taken in patient chart.
14. Triages incoming telephone calls; instructs patient and family regarding treatment instruction, then documents action taken in patient chart.
15. Communicates prescription requests to pharmacy; documents action in patient chart and obtains physician signature of approval.
16. Oversees appointment bookings and ensures emergency situations are scheduled appropriately; maintains timely flow of patients.
17. Participates in professional development activities and maintains professional affiliations.
18. Conducts educational seminars for patients, employers and others.
19. Maintains detailed knowledge of practice management and other computer software as it relates to job functions.
20. Attends annual CPR, OSHA and CLIA training programs, as required.
21. See consultations as directed by physicians.
22. May assist surgeon in operating room.
23. Performs other support as needed to meet clinical operating needs.
24. Other duties as assigned.
Education/Certifications: Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner degree; current state licensure with prescriptive authority. Must possess current health records with the appropriate immunizations to work in the health care field (hepatitis B and tuberculosis).
Experience: Min. 2 years of experience in a physician office or hospital, experience assisting physicians in surgery, experience diagnosing and treating patients, experience working with a managed care and Medicare population.
Other Requirements: The employee is expected to protect the privacy of all patient/client information in accordance with Wright State Physicians privacy policies, procedures and practices as required by Federal (and State) law and in accordance with general principles of professionalism as a health care provider.
Click Here To Apply