Healthcare Data Engineer
Vice President, Data & Informatics
March 10, 2023
A successful Healthcare Data Engineer will bring a passion for using data to help solve difficult healthcare problems. They will work closely with business leaders and client teams to help define data needs. They will participate in designing and developing data models and analytics. They will have a significant background in healthcare data, policies, and operations. They will be self-motivated and able to work independently in a rapidly changing environment.
Essential Functions and Duties
• Transform healthcare data to support analytic use cases.
• Combine clinical, claims and other data to create a comprehensive view of patient care.
• ETL various healthcare data sources for inclusion in our environment.
• Calculate cost of care for a variety of clinical and research use cases.
• Analyze clinical and claims data to identify care variation and patient outcomes.
• Interpret data and analyze results utilizing statistical techniques.
• Interpret measure definitions and standards used in quality measures for value-based care.
• Collaborate with other team members to design data models and visualizations that meet project requirements.
• Analyze data in support of the targeted strategic goals.
• Build data transformations to support analytic use cases.
• Validate data integration by developing and executing test plans.
• Create detailed documentation for projects, to ensure a smooth transition to support teams.
• Balance tasks and priorities between multiple client projects and internal initiatives, ensuring on time completion.
• Perform research and write documentation for internal and external audiences.
• Perform a variety of tasks related to getting a new platform configured.
• Adheres specifically to all company policies and procedures, Federal and State regulations and laws.
• Display dedication to position responsibilities and achieve assigned goals and objectives.
• Represent the Company in a professional manner and appearance at all times.
• Understand and internalize the Company’s purpose, display loyalty to the Company and its organizational values.
• Display enthusiasm and dedication to learning how to be more effective on the job and share knowledge with others.
• Work effectively with co-workers, internal and external customers and others by sharing ideas in a constructive and positive manner; listen to and objectively consider ideas and suggestions from others; keep commitments; keep others informed of work progress, timetables, and issues; address problems and issues constructively to find mutually acceptable and practical business solutions; address others by name, title, or other respectful identifier, and respect the diversity of our work force in actions, words, and deeds.
• Comply with the policies and procedures stated in the Injury and Illness Prevention Program by always working in a safe manner and immediately reporting any injury, safety hazard, or program violation.
• Ensure conduct is consistent with all Compliance Program Policies and procedures when engaging in any activity on behalf of the company. Immediately report any concerns or violations.
• Other duties as assigned.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree in a healthcare or technical field; or a combination of education and related professional experience.
• Good understanding of claims data (medical, Rx, enrollment/eligibility)
• Experience working with EMR/EHR systems and an understanding of the healthcare clinical domain.
• Knowledge of value-based contracting in healthcare.
• Knowledge of database design, data modeling and standardized data structures
• Familiarity with development methodologies and processes
• Some knowledge of cloud services like Amazon Web Services
• Knowledge of healthcare data standards (e.g. HL7, FHIR) and regulatory requirements (e.g. HIPAA).
• Experience with a variety of healthcare data formats (e.g. HL7 V2, FHIR, X12, CDA)
• Expertise in value-based care concepts and structuring claims & other data to support product development.
• Familiarity with designing, implementing, and loading custom data models that reflect real-world problems.
• Experience mentoring other data engineers and analysts.
• Must have at least eight (8) years of experience working with healthcare data and processes.
• Must have strong organizational skills.
• Must have a detail orientation and the proven ability to prioritize work.
• Must have effective verbal and written communication skills.
• Must have the ability to work with limited supervision and as part of a team.
• Sound decision-making abilities
• Ability to analyze healthcare data from a mix of sources and combine the data appropriately.
• Experience calculating cost of care for various use cases using claim or billing data.
• Experience identifying care variation and its possible causes.
• Experience creating analytic focused on patient outcomes.
• Experience with Structured Query Language (SQL).
• Experience working in a cloud-based infrastructure.
• Experience with ETL processes and tools.
• Excellent analytical and troubleshooting skills with attention to detail.
• Excellent logical and problem-solving capabilities.
• Strong organizational skills and the ability to prioritize work.
• Effective verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to work with limited supervision and as part of a team.
• Experience working with FHIR data and standard terminologies.
• Proficiency with developing, maintaining, monitoring, optimizing, and troubleshooting SQL or other advanced analytic tools to perform data extraction and query functions.
• Ability to code and comprehend code around technologies that deal with acquiring data.
• The ability to articulate issues in both technical and layman terms to both internal and external audiences.
Vision, hearing, speech, movements requiring the use of wrists, hands and/or fingers. Must have the ability to view a computer screen for long periods and the ability to sit for extended periods. Must have the ability to work the hours and days required to complete the essential functions of the position, as scheduled. The employee occasionally lifts up to 20 lbs. and occasionally kneels and bends. Must have the ability to travel occasionally. Working conditions include a normal office setting.
Learning, thinking, concentration and the ability to work under pressure, particularly during busy times. Must be able to pay close attention to detail and be able to work as a member of a team to ensure excellent customer service. Must have the ability to interact effectively with co-workers and customers, and exercise self-control and diplomacy in customer and employee relations’ situations. Must have the ability to exercise discretion as well as appropriate judgments when necessary. Must be proactive in finding solutions.
FFF Enterprises is an EEO/AAP employer; all business decisions (employment, promotions, compensation, etc.) are made without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other legally protected status. FFF Enterprises promotes an equal employment opportunity workplace which includes reasonable accommodation consideration of otherwise qualified disabled.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and/or skills required of all personnel so classified.
The undersigned employee acknowledges receipt of the Job Description for the employee’s position and understands the essential functions, responsibilities and qualifications of the position. Furthermore, the employee acknowledges that this Job Description does not include all of the essential functions of this position, and that these essential functions may change as deemed necessary by the manager.
Click Here To Apply