HBO is one of the most respected and innovative entertainment brands in the world, serving iconic, award-winning programming to 140 million subscribers globally. A subsidiary of WarnerMedia, HBO is the world’s most successful pay TV service with an extensive array of programming that includes some of the most notable titles to be on television, including drama series Succession®, Watchmen®, Westworld®, Big Little Lies®, Game of Thrones®, The Sopranos®, Band of Brothers® and The Wire®, as well as comedy series Barry®, Insecure® and Sex and the City®. HBO is committed to retaining and recruiting skilled and motivated employees, placing a priority on qualified team players who contribute to the diversity of their workforce. HBO offers competitive benefits to include medical, dental, vision, a matched 401(k) plan, flexible spending, a commuter benefit program and tuition reimbursement.
WarnerMedia seeks a Systems Engineer II for the META-IO Corporate department.
The Systems Engineer II is a member of a technical team with advanced experience in post-production technology and automating the movement and transformation of video.
This professional is self-directed and provides advanced-level design, maintenance, configuration, and support of information technology systems in a 24x7x365 news and entertainment production environment with attention to availability, performance, capacity planning, and security. They frequently work on large projects in planning, execution and documentation phases in several project management methodologies (Agile, Scrum, Kanban, Waterfall). They serve on Tier 3 support and have final ownership of incident escalations within the post-production environment.
Systems Engineers are expected to produce novel solutions to problems, not merely to execute procedures developed by others.
The ability to scope, review and build Bill of Materials for projects, and follow the project management process is required. Responsibilities also include managing external service providers, vendors and managing customer relationships with divisional partners.
They frequently work with:
- Senior and Lead System Engineers across the organization to help bridge localized customer requirements to enterprise technology initiatives.
- Systems architects, who focus on large scale system relationships
- Network engineers who design and build the network requirements
- ITBC’s to elicit customer requirements for localized projects
- Production Engineering & Customer Managers to remediate issues stemming from systems and process inefficiencies and faults.
- WarnerMedia Leadership, Business Partners, External Service Providers and Vendors to understand the business outcomes of services and underlying technologies.
Successful delivery of enterprise-wide post-production support requires one to foster a collaborative working relationship with key stakeholders and in partnership with subject matter experts across cities to meet the needs of a large base of customers. A willingness to perform varied tasks, adapt to changing priorities and strong verbal and written communication skills are essential.
Adherence to the ITSM Service Management process in planning and managing changes to minimize impact in a critical 24x7x365 environment is required.
Customer supported areas include post-production workflows for all WarnerMedia brands.
- Design, build, configure, maintain & troubleshoot full-stack complex ecosystems of media systems, including networking, Media Asset Management, AV routing, desktop, storage and virtualization
- Understand the customer organization and is adept at navigating and partnering to achieve results
- Consult and advise ITBC’s, customers and peers on media workflows & technology requirements
- Identify process gaps and actively engage team to promote process maturity
- Solicit quotes from vendors and service providers and build Bill of Materials
- Translate complex technology initiatives into verbal/written script that can be understood by a non-technical audience
- ITSM Service Management
- Service transition, project implementation and risk management
- Customer, vendor and partner relationship management
- Tier 3 escalation for localized and enterprise systems, accountable for resolution.
- Vet systems, applications and tools supporting the entire technology stack
- Work with Cyber and Content Security teams on security gap remediation
- Plan and execute SAT and UAT testing
- Work independently with little supervision
- Review peer’s configurations, implementations, and documentation – giving guidance on corrections as needed
- Provides advanced technical advice and assistance to team on multiple projects
- Responsible for effectively communicating to Managers, Project Manager and Leads and the state of technical work
- Balance competing demands
- BS in Computer Science, Film, MIS, business, or equivalent education/training/experience.
- 3-5 years of experience of one of the following: Design, Operating, or Supporting media workflow systems in an enterprise media company
- 3-5 years’ experience in digital video technologies or system integration in a localized and/or enterprise media company.
- 3+ years’ experience automating tasks in at least one complex scripting language
- 2+ years’ experience with server and desktop virtualization (VMware, Teradici, Leostream)
Systems fluency in 5 of the following areas:
- File Acquisition
- Video Compression & Codecs
- Video Formats (HD, UHD, 4K, HDR)
- Desktop and Server Operating Systems (Mac, Windows, Linux)
- Editing/Post Audio/Graphics (Avid, Adobe, Resolve, C4D, Plugins)
- Relational Databases (MS SQL)
- Active Directory and Group Policy Administration
- Media Asset Management
- File Transcode & Transfer
- Advanced skills in reading and translating data, process, and business models to solve problems
- Strong communication skills, including written/drawn documentation and verbal interactions with customers, vendors and management
- Ability to balance multiple competing demands
- Demonstrated self-starter that can work independently with little supervision
- Willing to be on-call in a 24×7 production environment
- Experience delegating and tracking work assignments of self and others
- Experience facilitating and leading meetings with customers and peers
- Exclusive WarnerMedia events and advance screenings
- Paid time off every year to volunteer for eligible employees
- Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
- Access to in-house learning and development resources
- Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands
Warner Media, LLC and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. Qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.
Click Here To Apply