At Houston Methodist, the Senior IT Data Specialist is responsible for supporting an enterprise wide business intelligence and analytics framework that will provide the organization with solutions for effective decision-making. This position utilizes critical thinking, attention to detail, and effective communication skills and collaborates effectively with teams to consult with business area leads to generate solution recommendations. The Senior IT Data Specialist plays a senior technical role on multiple projects and communicates effectively with technical and non-technical audiences. Serves a role model and mentor to more junior staff.
The position utilizes advanced technical expertise in Business Intelligence architecture, design and implementation with experience in business, healthcare and technology projects. The incumbent will be actively involved in supporting, developing and advancing Houston Methodist¿s Analytics applications. The Senior IT Data Specialist will use tools such as Microsoft SQL Server, SAP Business Objects, Oracle ODI & Oracle BI, Tableau, Epic Caboodle and Epic SlicerDicer to design and implement innovative approaches to data collection, analysis, interpretation and presentation to support planning and decision-making at all levels of the organization and assist in managing data as a corporate strategic resource.
PATIENT AGE GROUP(S) AND POPULATION(S) SERVED
Refer to departmental “Scope of Service” and “Provision of Care” plans, as applicable, for description of primary age groups and populations served by this job for the respective HM entity.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
o Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
- INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
- COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
- RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
- EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
o Focuses on patient/customer safety
o Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
o Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
o Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
o Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE – 25 %
1. Communicates (oral and written) effectively with customers, vendors, colleagues, and management about services, contact information, system availability, and information. (EF)
2. Engages customers and the business analyst to elicit requirements to document. technical and design specifications for package solutions, and/or software development. (EF)
3. Provides user education of business intelligence applications and helps ensure access to data with the goal of reduced reliance on technical specialists in order to obtain data. (EF)
4. Coordinates development, testing and working out issues with customers and vendors, making changes and corrections as needed. (EF)
SERVICE – 30 %
1. Designs and develops the architecture, design and implementation of Analytics Solutions including the data model for the data marts, Business Objects Universe, OBIEE RPD Tableau data sources, reports and dashboards that support operational and strategic decision making. (EF)
2. Identifies required source system data and develops ETL processes that move data from source systems into the data warehouse and data marts. (EF)
3. Coordinates and resolves major system outages, disaster management and change control and provides technical or on call support for Analytics applications. (EF)
4. Installs, configures, and deploys Analytics tools including as Microsoft SQL Server, SAP Business Objects, Oracle ODI & Oracle BI, Tableau, Epic Caboodle and Epic SlicerDicer. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY – 20 %
1. Ensures all reported data and information are accurate, consistent, relevant and timely.
2. Coordinates and performs required quality and profiling activities on the data and provides quality assurance of work assigned to team members to ensure information delivered from BI solutions is defect free and of high quality. (EF)
3. Participates in setting, monitoring, and meeting Service Level Agreements (SLAs) with key customers. (EF)
FINANCE – 10 %
1. Practices good time management, good assessment in professional decision making, and management reporting skills. (EF)
2. Promotes cost effective and timely assignment delegation and coordinates to provide timely problem resolution, technical analyses, costs and resource estimates, work plans, workflow documentation, and progress reports on assigned projects. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION – 15 %
1. Coordinates constructive solution discussions and fosters an environment that encourages innovation, continuous improvement and growth within the team to arrive at the most optimal solution. (EF)
2. Uses internal and external resources to stay up to date with new analytics technologies and mentors co-workers on new trends. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Business Administration, or related discipline with an information technology focus required.
o Six years’ experience in developing full life cycle BI / data warehousing solutions, using ETL tools preferably Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services, Oracle ODI, Informatica, using Analytics tools, such as Business Objects, Oracle BI, Epic Caboodle to design the user access layer for analytics and dashboards
o Three years’ Healthcare Industry experience preferred
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
o Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
o Ability to evaluate, prioritize and problem solve a variety and multiplicity of tasks and ensure their timely and accurate completion.
o Advanced knowledge of health care operations preferred
o Demonstrated ability to work independently and take initiative in areas of responsibility.
o Excellent analytical, organization, prioritization and oral/written communication skills.
o Knowledge and appreciation of business concepts and requirements as applicable to a large academic, research, and/or healthcare facility.
o Strong teamwork and interpersonal skills at all management levels.
o Strong Analytics / Business Intelligence / Data Warehousing systems & architecture experience in ‘real world’, practical, successful implementations.
o Advanced knowledge of ETL, Integration Technologies, Data Marts, Reporting Analytics.
o Advanced expertise in Analytics tool architecture, functions, and features.
o Advanced SQL server-based SQL coding and database programming skills and relational and multi-dimensional database structures and schemas.
o Strong knowledge of database technologies and data warehouse methodologies including data warehouse design and development.
Work Attire Yes/No
Business professional Yes
Other (dept approved) Yes
On-Call* Yes, on a regular basis (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)
- Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above.
May require travel within Yes
Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside Yes
of Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: __________________________
Click Here To Apply