Inspire health. Serve with compassion. Be the difference.
Collects specimens from patients and assumes responsibility for the safety and comfort of patients, following established standards and practices. Accessions samples into computer system for accurate testing and billing and obtains signed documents as needed. Reviews outstanding workload reports. Performs Point of Care testing and sample processing if assigned.
- Uses correct technique, policy, and protocol in collection and process of all specimens. Verifies identification of patient and specimen. Properly labels specimens with required information. Uses correct alternate patient identification procedures if hospital armband is not available (outpatient, use of Typenex bracelets, etc.). 10%
- Inputs and assesses information via the hospital and laboratory computer systems accurately and timely. Reviews collection lists, unreceived lists, tracking logs, and telephone log for completion of work. Takes appropriate action as needed. Instructs patients on preparation or collection for tests ordered and distributes collection containers when necessary. Organizes and prioritizes tasks and uses time efficiently. 10%
- Follows safety procedures and responds correctly and immediately to safety violations and safety drills. Reports and documents immediately personal exposure to hazardous or infectious situations. Uses available PPE and safety equipment when needed; disinfects equipment as required. Assures patient safety is maintained throughout collection/procedure and knows notification process if patient has adverse reaction. Obeys all patient precautions at bedside or noted on order. 10%
- Processes specimens for testing including identifying, sorting, aliquoting, centrifuging, and labeling specimens appropriately. Assures proper storage and retention of all specimens for their designated time. Packages and prepares specimens for transport while maintaining appropriate specimen temperature for stability. 10%
- Restocks an item in use, assuring its availability to the next person/shift. Maintains work area in a clean, orderly manner. Monitors expiration dates of all supplies and reagents and follows established protocol. Participates in work unit action plans and supports department based goals. Supports customer service, quality and financial initiatives in a positive and productive manner. 10%
- Communicates with patients and guests in a timely and courteous manner. Uses positive interpersonal skills in all patient /customer interactions. Receives incoming calls, documents incoming requests for blood collection or other information, and coordinates collections as needed. Communicates pertinent information to other team members using approved communication methods. 10%
- Performs account registrations and orders tests in multiple laboratory systems in a timely manner. Collects appropriate consents for preauthorizations and Advanced Beneficiary Notice as required. Completes clerical duties such as scanning of all relative patient data and tracking monthly workload performance. Records orders for lab tests and accurately provides appropriate reports to proper personnel according to compliance regulations. Communicates with and faxes information to physician offices concerning orders or billing information. Dispatches or arranges couriers for pickup. Floats to multiple client locations and patient sevice centers.10%
- Performs POC testing accurately if assigned, using established protocol and QC. Notifies appropriate caregiver of critical values. 10%
- Instructs new employees and students in procedure, technique and theory as assigned and documents proficiency on checklist. Informs appropriate person of problems noted in an individual’s training process. 10%
- Completes all required 6-month and annual competencies in required time frame with documentation in personnel file. Completes required training for age specific patients. Participates in Continuing Education (CE) program annually . 10%
High School Diploma or equivalent
3 Month training in phlebotomy Certification
In Lieu Of
In Lieu of the education and experience requirements noted above, previous phlebotomy experience or training in formal programs which include phlebotomy are qualified as candidates.
Required Certifications, Registrations, Licenses
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
Knowledge of general phlebotomy equipment
Interpersonal and Communication skills
Previous experience if no formal training
Basic computer skills
Knowledge of office equipment (fax/copier)
Proficient computer skills (word processing, spreadsheets, database)
Evening (United States of America)
1510 Richland Hospital
Share your talent with us! Our vision is simple: to transform healthcare for the benefits of the communities we serve. The transformation of healthcare requires talented individuals in every role here at Prisma Health.
Click Here To Apply