The Clinical Technician I position is an entry level position and is responsible for performing routine histology duties, cutting, processing, H&E staining/cover slipping, grossing and Immunohistochemistry. Maintain the workflow of the IHC/Clinical Laboratory. This position’s duties include but are not limited to; grossing biopsies/small specimens, maintaining laboratory logs, cutting tissues for IHC, performing antibody and reagent QC. Participates in a continuing education program. Attend in-service training sessions sponsored by the department. Continues personal growth by preparing for additional duties and responsibilities.
- Performs tissue sectioning and Immunohistochemistry staining of paraffin, or fresh frozen tissue according to instructions daily. Maintains diagnostic viability of all specimens and ensures correct patient labeling. Cuts, prepares, and stains slides from histology specimens. Routinely checks and verifies that surgical case numbers match vials and slides, prints labels as appropriate.
- Grossing biopsies and small specimens. Performs gross tissue examination and must meet personnel qualifications set forth by the 1988 CLIA CFR 493.1489 and the policies and procedures outlined in the department Standard Operating Procedures (SOP).
- Keeps workflow moving and assists with workflow on the manual staining process.
- Monitors inventory levels for control tissue and build in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Records in laboratory LIMS daily (Salesforce). Logs appropriate information into the laboratory computer system (Salesforce).
- Maintains laboratory equipment in proper working order, following appropriate laboratory safety protocols.
- Prepares and maintains working solutions of special stains (H&E and Congo Red), including maintaining acceptable working volumes.
- Handles, prepares, and uploads manual stainer; conducts dehydrating and cover slips slides utilizing manual systems.
- Prepares, cleans, maintains, and shuts down laboratory equipment & accessories used in a daily and weekly manner.
- Follows the laboratory procedures for specimen handling and processing of Immunohistochemistry and Immunofluorescence.
- Performs and documents proficiency testing (PT) samples are tested in the same manner as patient specimens.
- Adheres to the laboratory’s quality control policies, documents all quality control activities, instrument and procedural calibrations and maintenance performed.
- Demonstrates capability of identifying problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results and must either correct the problems or immediately notify the Laboratory Director.
- Documents all corrective action (Issue Review and CAPA system) taken when a test system deviates from the laboratory’s established performance specifications.
- Reports all concerns of test quality and/or patient safety to Laboratory Director.
- Assists as needed to perform other related duties and special projects to support Senior Biomedical engineer as required.
- Maintains tissue inventories and discards residual tissue specimens at appropriate intervals and maintains up-to-date inventories and records relating to tissues.
- Troubleshoots assays and all related instrumentation. Maintains and revises as needed all related technical policies and procedures including instrument/equipment maintenance by maintaining equipment quality control and preventive maintenance.
- Accepts other duties as assigned, such as, R&D projects and Antibody Optimization.
- Ability to adjust to constant operational changes.
- Focused and detailed oriented.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Demonstrated skills in technical data interpretation and ability to troubleshoot.
- Demonstrated ability to take and follow direction and to know who the resources are for their direction.
- Understanding of the equipment used daily; including, but not limited to, mounting microscopes, immunofluorescent microscope, microtome, Cryostat, and general data printer.
- Adequate experience in routine histology to act as a resource for other team members.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Word, Excel, Outlook, and general working knowledge of Internet for business use.
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-past, deadline driven environment.
- Drive for Results (Service, Quality, and Continuous Improvement) – Ensure procedures and processes are in place that lead to delivery of quality results and continually reassess their effectiveness to achieve continuous improvement.
- Communication – Proficient verbal and written communication skills. Willingness to share and receive information and ideas from all levels of the organization to achieve the desired results.
- Teamwork – Commitment to the successful achievement of team and organizational goals through a desire to participate with and help other members of the team.
- Customer Service Focus – Demonstrate a focus on listening to and understanding client/customer needs and then delighting the client/customer by exceeding service and quality expectations.
Education, Certifications and Licensures:
- BS in Science or related science
- 0-3 years of experience in histology or clinical/molecular laboratory
- This position will be a weekend coverage position scheduled on Saturday, Sunday and Monday from 8:00am-5:00pm.
Founded in 2017, CND Life Sciences is dedicated to supporting the care of patients suffering from neurodegenerative diseases and other conditions. Operating a CLIA-certified laboratory in Phoenix, Arizona, CND launched the Syn-One Test™ as the world’s first commercially available test to detect, visualize, and quantify the presence of abnormal proteins in nerve fibers of the skin. The test is intended to serve as an objective, evidence-based diagnostic tool to aid in the confirmation of a synucleinopathy in patients with suspected Parkinson’s disease, dementia with Lewy body, and other serious neurological disorders. Through proprietary laboratory analysis of small punch skin biopsies performed and provided by a referring clinician, CND offers a convenient, accurate, minimally invasive alternative to add clarity and confidence in the diagnosis of neurodegenerative diseases. The company has research collaborations with multiple biopharmaceutical companies and was awarded a prestigious NIH SBIR grant in 2020 to advance its testing technology. For more information visit www.cndlifesciences.com.
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: From $21.63 per hour
- 401(k) matching
- 8 hour shift
- Weekend availability
Must have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccination within 30 days of date of hire to be considered. Proof of vaccination required.
- High school or equivalent (Required)
- Laboratory: 1 year (Required)
Work Location: One location
Click Here To Apply