The Exercise Physiologist 1 is responsible for coordinating and planning preventative and rehabilitative health care for patients. This position provides patient care by observing and assessing the patient’s condition, performing patient care interventions and testing, evaluating the results of care and medications administered, and educating patients and their families about the nature, care and treatment of the patient’s condition.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE ROLE
- Provides patient care by observing and assessing the patient’s condition; performing patient care interventions, evaluating the results of care, exercise and medications administered; and educating patients and their families about the nature, care and treatment of the patient’s condition and disease management.
- Assesses the condition of assigned patient by obtaining the patient’s medical history through written reports, interviewing the patient and/or family members and through observation.
- Develops exercise prescriptions consistent with the assessment of the patient’s condition and complementary to the medical plan of care and the patient’s goals. Performs appropriate exercise tolerance testing on various patient populations and follows appropriate procedures and guidelines when performing tests. Implements a plan of care by teaching the patient how to perform the prescribed exercises. Reassesses and evaluates the patient’s response to exercise, and modifies exercise prescription as needed. Works closely with other team members in coordinating the care administered.
- Documents pertinent assessment information, treatment activities, and patient outcomes in the patient record (manual and/or computer entry). Informs appropriate team members and family spokesperson of pertinent changes in the patient’s condition.
- Educates patients and family members by communicating about treatments administered, the objectives for the patient, and necessary steps for continuing patient care and rehabilitation as well as home guidelines. Comforts patients and family members and responds to their concerns.
- Communicates effectively with team members in order to gather and exchange information related to patient assessment, outcome and the planning and implementation of care plans. Supports activities of clinical care technicians and other unit support personnel. Participates in patient care conferences. Assists in developing and implementing discharge instructions and home programs.
- Researches, develops and delivers educational programs for patients, patient families, team members, student interns, community groups, and other interested health care professionals. Develops educational tools such as handouts, pamphlets, booklets, etc.
- Maintains knowledge of current trends related to exercise physiology and cardiovascular rehabilitation and contributes to the learning experience of students in health professions.
- Participates in the Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) processes and other quality monitoring and improvement activities in order to better serve the customer needs and to improve the quality of services provided.
KEY SUCCESS FACTORS
- Ability to work independently and follow protocol.
- Ability to define challenges, analyzes problems, and develops and implements solutions in a proactive and positive manner.
- High attention to detail in fast paced and dynamic environment.
- Ability to multitask effectively while maintaining a high level of productivity.
- Ability to communicate effectively with customers and employees of organization.
- Demonstration of computer skills and the ability to troubleshoot hardware and software issues.
Our competitive benefits package includes the following
- Immediate eligibility for health and welfare benefits
- 401(k) savings plan with dollar-for-dollar match up to 5%
- Tuition Reimbursement
- PTO accrual beginning Day 1
Note: Benefits may vary based upon position type and/or level
- EDUCATION – Bachelor’s
- EXPERIENCE – Less than 1 Year of Experience
Basic Life Support (BLS)
ACLS (ACLS): BLS and ACLS required within 30 days of hire or transfer.