The Department of Pharmacology at the University of Virginia seeks a Laboratory and Research Technician 2 to assist investigators in the Bland Lab with experiments designed to investigate the control of growth and metabolism by insulin and immune signaling pathways. The individual will maintain the lab’s Drosophila stock collection, perform molecular and biochemical and assays, and use genetic approaches in flies and mice to alter cellular signal transduction and metabolism. Experimental techniques may include RT-qPCR, immunocytochemistry, Western blotting and ELISA. Skills in molecular biology, endocrinology, and Drosophila and mouse genetics are desired.
Learn more about the Bland Lab: https://med.virginia.edu/faculty/faculty-listing/mlb2eg/
What you will do :
Maintain Drosophila stocks.
Perform standard molecular biology (transformation, plasmid preparation, mutagenesis, and sub-cloning) and biochemistry (Western blotting) techniques.
Carry out immunofluorescence experiments and use a confocal microscope to collect images.
Perform assays to measure triglycerides, glycogen, and hormone levels.
Assist in data analysis.
Laboratory Maintenance and General Duties
Maintain a detailed laboratory notebook.
Maintain a clean laboratory area and assist with overall laboratory maintenance.
Make buffers and other reagents.
Be available to assist principal investigator and other lab members as needed.
- Associate’s degree in Biology, Chemistry or a related discipline and at least two years of experience in an academic or industrial lab, or a Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Chemistry or a related discipline by the time of appointment (late May / early June 2022).
- Experience with a variety of cellular, molecular, and biochemical laboratory techniques.
- Ability to synthesize information, provide advice, and address needs independently.
- Knowledge of general lab procedures, basic safety precautions, and lab equipment.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Experience with genome databases (FlyBase) and literature search (PubMed).
- Experience with Drosophila genetics.
- Experience with Filemaker, GraphPad Prism, Adobe Acrobat, Illustrator and Photoshop.
Anticipated Hiring Rang e: $17.00 – $21.00 / hour. Salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
Complete an application online and attach:
- Cover letter to include your interest, knowledge, skills, abilities or experience related to the position
- Resume or CV
PROCESS FOR INTERNAL UVA APPLICANTS: Please apply through your Workday Home page, search “Find Jobs”, and search for R0034700
PROCESS FOR EXTERNAL APPLICANTS: Please visit UVA job board: https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs and search for R0034770
***Please note that you MUST upload ALL documents into the CV/Resume box. Applications that do not contain all of the required documents will not receive full consideration. ***
For questions about the application process, please contact Rhiannon O’Coin, Senior Academic Recruiter, [email protected]
The selected candidate will be required to complete a background check and health screening per University Policy.
COVID Vaccination Requirement and Guidelines
Please visit the UVA COVID-19 Job Requirements and Guidelines webpage prior to applying for current information regarding vaccination requirements and guidelines for employment at UVA.
The University of Virginia, i ncluding the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person’s perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.
Click Here To Apply