At UC Health, we’re proud to have the best and brightest teams and clinicians collaborating toward our common purpose: to advance healing and reduce suffering.
As the region’s adult academic health system, we strive for innovation and provide world-class care for not only our community, but patients from all over the world. Join our team and you’ll be able to develop your skills, grow your career, build relationships with your peers and patients, and help us be a source of hope for our friends and neighbors.
UC Health is committed to providing an inclusive, equitable and diverse place of employment.
The Lab Support Technician collects specimens; performs pre- and post-analytic processing of specimens; accessions, labels and distributes specimens. Performs clerical and miscellaneous duties and assists the technical staff.
PATIENT POPULATION – (CLINICAL ONLY)
- Engages in population appropriate communication.
- Has knowledge of growth and development milestones and tasks.
- Gives clear instructions to patients/family regarding treatment.
- Involves family/guardian in the assessment, initial treatment and continuing care of the patient.
- Identifies any physical limitations of the patient and deploys intervention when necessary.
- Recognizes and responds appropriately to patients/families with behavioral health problems.
- Interprets population related data and plans care appropriately.
- Identifies and responds appropriately to different needs resulting from, unique psychological needs or those associated with religious/cultural norms.
- Performs treatments, administers medication or operates equipment safely.
- Recognizes and responds to signs/symptoms of abuse or neglect.
Obtains blood specimens by venipuncture or skin puncture:
- Follows proper patient identification protocols Follows established blood collection protocols
- Demonstrates a high level of skill (minimal can’t gets, recollects, blood culture contamination rate, etc.)
- Prioritizes workload, collects samples in a timely manner, and ensures timely transit of samples to laboratory
- Uses order monitor or collection log to ensure timely specimen collection
- Communicates to appropriate person(s) the status of any uncompleted collection
- Handles problems encountered in am appropriate manner
- Cleans and stocks phlebotomy supplies at end of shift
Performs Pre- and Post-Analytical Processing Functions:
- Collection verifies and receipt verifies specimens within expected timeframe
- Processes volume of specimens appropriate for the assigned work area
- Processes samples in a timely manner and within expected timeframe
- Distributes samples to the correct work area within established timeframe
- Follows established guidelines for centrifugation of samples
- Follows established guidelines for aliquoting and preparing samples, including those being sent to a reference lab (labeling, specimen type, volume, storage, and stabilization for transport)
- Creates and processes transport lists according to established protocols
- Performs daily, weekly, and monthly maintenance and performance checks on departmental equipment as assigned and performs other routine maintenance (housekeeping, safety, etc.) in the department
- Handles large workload or unusual working conditions without assistance
- Accounts for all work on logs to assure sample integrity and minimize lost samples.
- Is able to troubleshoot problems identified without assistance.
- Cleanse and stocks work station at the end of the shift
- Serves as a resource to co-workers for problem resolution
Performs clerical duties:
- Answers phone promptly in a courteous manner, identifying oneself to the caller.
- Handles phone requests with a minimum of call transfers.
- Coordinates the collection of blood draws ensuring efficient distribution of work.
- Completes collection pool summary
- Reviews lab requisitions for completeness of information and resolves any problems identified in the appropriate manner.
- Properly processes add-on and recollect requests
- Performs departmental filing and clerical needs
- Follows safety policies and procedures in all phases of specimen collection, transportation and processing.
- Performs special procedures to include bleeding times and blood cultures Is knowledgeable in processing unusual send-out specimen, uses provided policies/procedures/guidelines
- Is knowledgeable in handling pathology specimens including frozen sections.
Assists Technical Staff:
- Assists the technical staff as assigned and within scope of training.
- Duties could include loading analyzers, taking specimens off analyzers, entering organizing specimens for storage.
Competency and continuing education:
- Department procedures and policies are reviewed in a timely manner
- Mandatory continuing education modules are completed within the established time frame without individual reminders
- Technical competencies are completed within the established time frame without individual reminder
- Participates in continuing education opportunities such as the CAP competency assessment program.
Education: High school diploma or GED. Completion of formal phlebotomy training preferred.
Experience: Phlebotomy experience preferred, keyboarding skills preferred. Ability to effectively and efficiently perform job duties in a fast paced environment.
Click Here To Apply