WV Northern Community College seeks qualified, student-centered individuals to teach Emergency Medical Services (EMS) courses through the college’s Economic and Workforce Development (EWD) department.
*** This is a part-time, on-campus position.***
EMS Instructors may be scheduled to instruct courses on one of our three College campuses (Wheeling, New Martinsville, and Weirton, West Virginia), dependent on the course. The schedule for these courses varies to fit course and/or lab requirements and schedules which may include evenings and/or weekends. Course appointment is dependent on an individual’s credentials for teaching.
About the Courses: The EMS Program prepares students to provide emergency medical care for critical patients who need health care access. This program is offered in a flexible format, allowing students to attend class in-person or online (labs and clinical rotations are only offered in-person). Students can choose to continue their education and become advanced EMTs, paramedics or continue their education and transition into another health care field.
Courses in program include, but are not limited to:
- EMT training,
- Paramedic training,
- CPR/First Aid training,
- ACLS, BLS, NAEMT courses.
About the Position: EMS Adjunct Instructors can teach in classroom and laboratory settings. Under the direction of the EMS Program Director, the adjunct EMS Instructor is responsible for preparing, and delivering didactic and laboratory education that parallels the NHTSA, West Virginia Office of EMS, National Standards curriculum, and other accrediting agencies as per specific course requirements.
All EWD Adjunct Instructors are responsible for adhering to the following guidelines.
- Promptly fill out and return any mandatory college forms
- Use the WVNCC email for all communication with students, other faculty, or staff (no personal or otherwise external email account)
- Use the college approved course syllabus, remaining consistent with catalog description, student needs, and other institutional guidelines
- Plan and implement strategies and activities to accomplish course objectives/outcomes
- Clarify assignments, expectations, attendance policy, grading policy, evaluation methods, and class procedures to students
- Evaluate students on the basis of their achievements toward these objectives/outcomes
- Advise and assist students in matters related to course work outside the classroom
- Meet each class during the scheduled hours in campus-based classes OR participate in teaching and learning activities several times a week in online classes.
- Ensure that class is held the required number of hours advertised during the term
- Make arrangements for equipment and supplies, field trips, Web page, outline, or other special activities needed for a course
- Complete all program and course assessment practices and instruments as requested
- Understand and use technology that will enhance the teaching/learning in the classroom
Complete administrative responsibilities by activating and using the WVNCC adjunct email account for institutional correspondence with staff and students
Education and Certification:
- Valid State Paramedic Certification or National Registered Paramedic (NRP) certification, preferred, State or Nationally Registered EMT required.
At least one year of experience in Emergency Medical Services as an EMT or Paramedic, preferred
- Computer and technical skills related to career field
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to instruct students.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Must be able to work under limited supervision.
- Must be able to lift or move related equipment
At a minimum, all part-time adjunct faculty are expected to:
- Keep up-to-date with information and practices in the discipline in which they teach
- Provide students with skills needed for the global workplace
College Service Like all employees, part-time EWD Adjunct Instructors represent the College to students and others and to maintain and uphold academic integrity and the College’s work ethic in all aspects of their work
Click Here To Apply