The Biochemistry department has an opening for a Senior Research Associate position. The candidate will work under the direct supervision of Dr. Raja Mazumder. Mazumder Lab’s research includes use of bioinformatics standards and ontologies for data integration for knowledge exploration in microbiology and cancer biology. Find out more here: https://hive.biochemistry.gwu.edu/research, https://hive.biochemistry.gwu.edu/publications.
The Senior Research Associate will work on government and/or industry funded projects that includes development of bioinformatics tools, algorithms, standards, and knowledgebases. This experienced researcher will carry out research/development activities by designing and conducting bioinformatics experiments. Using a wide degree of creativity and latitude, the core responsibilities of this position are to make detailed observations, analyze data, and interpret and present results, with limited guidance from the Principal Investigator. Their work in addition to data analysis will include interfacing with key stakeholders in the scientific community. They will also act to guide the development of software, tools, and databases produced by Dr. Mazumder’s lab.
- Maintenance and update of knowledgebase datasets for resources such as GlyGen, ARGOS, OncoMX, BioMuta, BioXpress and HIVE.
- Regular use of software, tools and databases for analysis of DNA, RNA, protein, glycan and other types of biomolecular data and metadata.
- Organizing regular project meetings and writing or overseeing the writing of progress reports required for grants and contracts.
- Creating, presenting and discussing the various progress reports including publications with Dr. Mazumder and other key project stakeholders.
- Working with database developers on tools, data modeling, data curation, QA/QC, and database development.
This position performs other duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Qualified candidates will hold a master’s degree and 3 years of direct experience in a related discipline. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position
Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
- An understanding of how biological data is represented and processed computationally.
- Familiarity with the command line interface, the use of Linux, Python, JSON, R.
- A strong understanding of bioinformatics principals.
- The candidate should show demonstrable eagerness and willingness to learn new skills.
Typical Hiring Range Commensurate with Experience.
Foggy Bottom, Washington, D.C.
School of Medicine and Health Sciences (SMHS)
Research and Labs
Hours Per Week:
40 hours per week
Monday through Friday, 9:00 – 5:30
Will this job require the employee to work on site?
Employee Onsite Status
Required Background Check
Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Internal Applicants Only?
Job Open Date:
Job Close Date:
If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until:
Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire.
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Click Here To Apply