PHLEBOTOMIST JOB DESCRIPTION
Phlebotomist has direct contact with patient, playing an important role in patient care, and must create an atmosphere of trust and confidence while explaining procedures, and drawing quality blood specimens in a skillful, safe, and accurate manner. This job description also applies to PSC phlebotomists; however, specimen transport to the laboratory is excluded.
- Collects, transports and receives specimens with knowledge regarding age specific laboratory needs of a neonatal, pediatric, adult, and geriatric patient.
- Performs routine and advanced venipuncture, capillary, and urine collections according to SHERMAN-ABRAMS LABORATORY standards, in a variety of locations including
Patient Service Centers.
- Treats patients with respect and is considerate of their physical condition during drawing. Follows proper patient identification procedures.
- Collects high quality specimens in a timely manner, using established phlebotomy techniques.
- Accurately labels and properly handles specimens.
- Completes the requisitions based on physician’s orders. Documents date and time of collection.
- Is knowledgeable of all the procedures pertaining to blood drawing (order of draw, choice of tubes, fasting requirements, universal precautions, etc) and the post- draw treatment of the specimens (cooling, storage, centrifugation).
- Promptly delivers specimens to the clinical laboratory.
- Performs computerized clerical duties necessary to document accurate specimen collection, audit, update, and retrieve data.
- Reviews and updates inventories and stocks supplies. Checks, inspects and ensures proper storage and handling of supplies.
- Must be able to maintain accurate records and logs including temperature charts (PSCs).
- Must be able to demonstrate effective organizational skills.
Page 1* of 2*
- Must be able to handle detailed work and maintain a pleasant demeanor while under pressure and stress.
- Follows procedures for proper waste management.
Education and Qualifications:
- Requires use of electronic mail, time and attendance software, learning LIS and intranet.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum 1 year of prior phlebotomy experience required.
- Phlebotomy training certification preferred.
- Must have clear speech, normal hearing and good visual acuity.
- Must be able to work weekends and holidays as assigned.
- Mandarin or Cantonese language preferred
_The duties listed in this job description are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. _
_ _ Employee Signature _____________________________ Initials__________
Page 2* of 2*
- Waiting period may apply
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $16.00 – $20.00 per hour
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Associate (Required)
- Phlebotomy: 1 year (Required)
- relevant: 1 year (Required)
Work Location: One location
Click Here To Apply