The Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant (COTA) performs components of occupational therapy procedures and related tasks under the supervision of a licensed Occupational Therapist and in accordance with practices of occupational therapy. Patient population ranges in age from 18 years to geriatric experiencing rehabilitation diagnosis/conditions and/or conditions requiring rehabilitation. Assist patients with his/her maximum functional performance while learning to live within his/her capabilities. Records the patient’s responses to treatment and reports the outcome of each treatment to the Occupational Therapist.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
May include, but is not limited to the following:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each key function satisfactorily based on overall skills categories; assessment, planning, intervention, evaluation and teaching/coaching. Each category will be assessed on performance measurements of appropriateness, efficiency, effectiveness and timeliness. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the key functions.
- Perform components of occupational therapy procedures and related tasks as selected by supervising Occupational Therapist: Therapeutic activities with patients who are limited by physical injury or illness, psychosocial dysfunctions, developmental or learning disability or the aging process.
- Observe patients’ responses to therapy, evaluate and report outcomes to supervising OT or members of the interdisciplinary team. Document outcomes in medical record.
- Maintain clean and safe environment. Maintain and clean all equipment. Prepare patient and/or room for treatments and therapy. Transport and transfer patient in a safe manner.
- Participate in patient care tasks; bathing, feeding, transporting; as needed.
- Perform clerical duties such as answering phones, taking messages, taking inventory, ordering supplies and completing forms.
- Remain current with literature related to departments for which responsible and maintain an updated methodology, tools, manuals and criteria as necessary and appropriate. Attends all required hospital meetings.
- Supports employee and patient education to enhance knowledge, skills, and necessary behaviors to achieve quality outcome.
- Demonstrates and understands the importance of and respect for the rights, dignity, and individuality of each patient in all interactions.
- Demonstrates respect for co-workers and responds to needs of patients by complying with hospital policies.
- Ability to carry out essential functions of this position (with or without reasonable accommodation).
- Promote the philosophy, mission and objectives of the Company within and to customers outside the hospital.
- Demonstrates satisfactory level of interpersonal skills to interact with facility and medical staff and Administration, patients, families, customers, vendors and government agencies.
- Assure participation in relevant in-service training sessions, facility meetings and continuing educational opportunities appropriate to responsibilities.
- Demonstrates honesty and integrity at all times in care and use of patient and hospital property.
- Demonstrates ability to prioritize tasks/responsibilities and compete duties within allotted time.
- Appropriately accesses the resources of the company’s corporate offices for consultation and program development support. Seeks out external resources through conferences, workshops, etc. as necessary. Shares professional knowledge with staff, directors, managers and hospital personnel.
- Participate in hospital wide patient safety program identifying risks to patient safety and reducing healthcare errors.
- Comply with HIPAA regulatory requirements.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Graduate of a school for Occupational Therapy Assistant program. Associate degree required.
Current license for Occupational Therapy Assistant in state of practice. Current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification through the American Heart Association. Employee must maintain current license and certification throughout employment.
Ability to project a professional Image. Knowledge of regulatory standards and compliance requirements. Knowledge and experience in the needs of patients ranging in age from 18 to geriatric. Working knowledge and ability to apply professional standards of practice in job situations. Strong organizational and analytical skills; excellent writing and speaking skills.
Working knowledge of personal computer and software applications used in job functions (Word processing, graphics, databases, spreadsheets, etc.)
Participates in or conducts company-wide sponsored training to safeguard against improper use and disclosure of patient’s protected health information. Monitors and ensures compliance with company policies, procedures, state and federal regulations and Accreditation Standards.
- Adheres to dress code, appearance is neat and clean and wears appropriate identification while on duty.
- Adheres to all smoking or tobacco regulations established by corporate building owners, state, or federal laws.
- Completes annual health, safety, and education requirements. Maintains professional growth and development.
- Maintains confidentiality of all patient and/or employee information to assure patient and/or employee rights are protected.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development and the skills necessary to provide age appropriate care to the patient population served.
- Reports to work on time as scheduled; adheres to policies regarding notification of absence.
- Attends all mandatory in-services and staff meetings.
- Represents the organization in a positive and professional manner.
- Complies with all organizational policies regarding ethical business practices.
- Communicates the mission, ethics, and goals of the hospital, as well as the focus statement of the department.
- Maintains current licensure/certification for position, if applicable.
- Consistently demonstrates superior customer service to patients, physicians, visitors, employees, and any other individuals with whom they may come in contact.
- Consistently follows departmental and hospital Health, Safety, Security, Hazardous Materials policies and procedures.
- HIPAA: Conduct job responsibilities in accordance with HIPAA privacy laws, follow hospital policy in provision of patient confidentiality. Able to identify patient confidentiality issues and reports to proper hospital personnel immediately.
- Compliance: Conducts job responsibilities in accordance with standards set forth in Code of Conduct, policy and procedures, applicable federal and state laws, and applicable standards.
Professionalism –To always maintain the highest standard and regard for others. Keep skills, competencies and required licensures/certifications current; displays mastery over attitude and behavior and pride in appearance. Consistently performs duties to the best of abilities.
Exceptional Care—Go above and beyond expectations by providing exceptional care to WOW our customers—patients, family, physicians, and each other.
Respect – Treating others as they would like to be treated; valuing others. Acknowledges the worth of others through professional greetings, proper telephone etiquette, patience, and common courtesy.
Fun – Having fun and celebrating small successes in our journey to achieve big. Always demonstrates a positive attitude toward work and devotion to our passion and task at hand.
Teamwork –To function as a unit, with common goals, recognizing we can achieve far more as a team than as individuals. Cooperates with co-workers while performing duties leading to everyone being able to achieve success and giving recognition where it is due.
Integrity – To always be honest and trustworthy in all our relationships. Demonstrates adherence to a strict moral or ethical code in performance of duties by always seeking to do the right thing.
Accountability – Responsibility of our actions that influence the lives of our customers and fellow workers. Takes ownership of all aspects of duties shown through reliable, timely performance and responsibility.
Responsibility – Maintains accountability by doing what is expected or beyond; assuring the appropriate tasks and project items are completed. Takes ownership of all aspects of duties shown through reliable, timely performance and accountability.
- Ability to function independently in all aspects, including project identification, evaluation, contract negotiations, and coordination with management and internal departments.
- Ability to represent the company in a confident, persuasive and positive manner.
- Good interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work under stress and respond quickly in emergency situations.
- In-depth knowledge of operational, clinical and referral development systems.
- Ability to work effectively within a complex matrix organization.
Click Here To Apply