Under physician supervision, in accordance with policies and procedures approved by the Medical Director, is responsible for directing, checking, reviewing, assigning, organizing and coordinating the work of three (3) or more Regular (twenty (20) hours or more per week) Respiratory Care Practitioners in the provision of specific respiratory care respiratory care modalities within well-defined procedures to patients in all areas of the hospital. Will train and report on the work performance of assigned RCPs. Must be capable of serving as a technical resources persona regarding current practice, and effective and safe methods for administering respiratory care to respiratory staff and hospital personnel. Expected to perform duties and responsibilities with minimal and indirect supervision by and to adjust or modify therapeutic techniques within well-defined procedures based on a limited range of patient responses. Works under the general supervision of an administrative supervisor or at the direction of a technical lead to deliver respiratory care services to patients in all areas of the hospital. Must be able to adapt to the particular area of duty assignment and to perform special duties required by the assignment. Standards of performance for the area to which the individual is assigned must be maintained. Delivers respiratory care services to patients in all areas of the hospital. Special duties may include provision of basic and advanced respiratory care to neonatal and pediatric patients in the intensive care unit and during transport, which frequently requires making rapid decisions and assisting physicians to respond to status changes in neonatal and pediatric patients. Special duties may include performance of a variety of diagnostic tests of the cardiopulmonary system and to determine the effect of disease and treatment on that system.
- Selects Reviews, Obtains and Interprets Data:
- Reads and evaluates physicians orders, clarifying as needed. Accurately transcribes physician orders to electronic charting system or departmental patient master. Reviews patient information including history, lab data, radiologic studies, progress notes, respiratory and cardiovascular monitoring data and performs assessment/data collection in systematic manner. Systematically assesses patients overall cardiopulmonary status by inspection, palpation, percussion, auscultation, and patient interview. Interprets data to formulate goal-directed plan of care and determines requirements for treatment such as type and duration of therapy, precautions to be observed, equipment required, and medication and dosages. Determines modifications to physician orders, which optimize patient, care and makes recommendations to physician. Recommends procedures to obtain additional data including radiographs, bronchoscopy, Gram stain and C&S, spirometry, blood gas analysis, lung mechanics, work of breathing, EKG, noninvasive monitoring.
- Performs Diagnostic Modalities:
- Performs procedures and interprets results: ABG sampling and analysis, co-oximetry, spirometry, pressure-volume and flow-volume loops, cuff pressure, sputum induction. May perform EKGs. May place Holter monitor. May perform pulmonary function, and sleep diagnostic tests. May perform Exercise Stress Tests. May perform indirect calorimetry.
- Selects Assembles and Checks Equipment for Proper Function, Operation and Cleanliness:
- Selects, assembles and checks equipment for cleanliness, proper function and safe operation. Ensures proper function and ready availability of respiratory related life support equipment Troubleshoots and performs minor repairs of equipment. May perform Quality control procedures for blood analysis devices. May perform Quality control, calibrate, maintain and troubleshoot pulmonary function diagnostic equipment. Participates in routine departmental programs of cleaning, disinfecting and sterilizing of respiratory care and other related equipment. Participates in routine departmental preventive maintenance program and performs basic repairs. Orders/stocks departmental supplies.
- Initiates, Conducts and Modifies Prescribed Therapeutic or Diagnostic Procedures:
- Operates all medical equipment within manufacturer and department guidelines to safely treat patients. Checks and adjusts alarms. Observes established safety and security procedures and protects patients from nosocomial infection. Explains planned therapy or procedure and goals to patient in understandable terms to achieve optimal therapeutic outcome. Conducts therapeutic procedures to maintain a patent airway, remove bronchopulmonary secretions, and/or achieve adequate ventilation and oxygenation. Monitors patients physiological responses to therapy, recognizes patient adverse reaction and stops or modifies or recommends modification to procedure based on patient response. Documents all required information in the medical record according to departmental policy and procedure. Initiates pressure-cycled/volume-cycled/high frequency ventilation. Weans/modifies mechanical ventilation according to assessment and physician orders. Assists with or performs extubation. Conducts patient education and disease management. Performs cardiopulmonary resuscitation according to resuscitation guidelines. May assist with or perform intubation. May assist the physician when performing bronchoscopy, thoracentesis, tracheostomy, cardioversion, and intubation. May participate in land/air critical care transport. May assist with high risk deliveries. May assist with surfactant replacement in neonates. May participate in pulmonary rehabilitation, home care. May assist with discharge planning. May assist with community outreach. May initiate and implement therapist driven protocols.
- Supervision and Administration:
- Directs, checks, reviews, assigns, organizes and coordinates the work of three or more assigned Respiratory Care practitioners. Demonstrates respiratory care procedures to trainees and other health care personnel. Trains assigned practitioners and completes assigned practitioner competency reviews. Contributes to departmental quality improvement activities. Schedules staff and performs staffing functions. Assesses priorities for delivery of patient care and redistributes resources as necessary throughout shift. Protects data from intentional or unintentional destruction, modification, or disclosure. Maintains a current knowledge base of departmental information management systems, including collection, maintenance, and dissemination of information, as well as appropriate audit trails. May develop policies and procedures, both clinical and administrative. May serve as Timekeeper for TIME system.
- Other Assessment Criteria:
- Complies with attendance and punctuality expectations and with meal and break schedules. Accurately documents time in/out in TIME keeping system or time card Maintains a professional appearance, displays professional conduct and ethical behavior. Participates in continuing education for professional development in Respiratory Care and related fields. May serve on hospital committees. May participate in professional organizations &
- Supervisory Responsibilities:
- This job motivates and provides work direction to three or more other employees, but does not have the authority to hire, fire or discipline.
Job Grade: 795
- High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) required.
License, Certification, Registration
- Respiratory Care Practitioner License (California)
- Basic Life Support
- Respiratory Therapist Certificate
- Registered by the National Board for Respiratory Care preferred, may be required for this particular position. Certified or Registered Pulmonary Function Technologist by the National Board for Respiratory Care preferred, but may be required for this particular position.
- Depending on the particular specialty, ACLS, NRP or PALS may be required for this particular position.
- Licensed Respiratory Care Practitioner in the State of California. Certification from the National Board of Respiratory Care, except those RCPs licensed prior to 1986 and are currently employed by Kaiser Permanente. At least three (3) years regular (20 hours of more per week) of recent experience as Respiratory Care. At least one (1) year critical care experience. At lease one (1) year of clinical experience in neonatal/pediatric respiratory care preferred, may be required for this particular position. At least one (1) year of clinical experience in the field of polysomnography preferred, may be required for this particular position.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, technical manuals, and short correspondence or memos.
- Ability to write simple correspondence.
- Ability to speak and understand spoken English.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
- Must be willing to work in a Labor Management Partnership environment. Also refer to Position Specifications outlined in the appropriate collective bargaining agreement.
- Graduate from a respiratory care education program supported by CoARC or accredited by CAAHEP, required, with 62 semester hours of college credit, including a background in the basic sciences, or baccalaureate degree in an area other than respiratory care or Associates of Arts or Science degree, preferred. Current Kaiser Permanente employees who received their RCP license prior to 1986 are exempt from this educational requirement. Registered by the Board of Registered Polysomnographic Technologists preferred, but may be required for this particular position. Neonatal/Pediatric Specialist by the National Board preferred, but may be required for this particular position. Respiratory Care Practitioners working prior to 1986, with a valid California RCP license, are exempt from obtaining a CRT credential.
HoursPerWeek : 36
Workdays : Week1: Mon, Fri, Sat, Week2: Tue, Wed, Thu
Job Schedule :
Job Type : Standard
Employee Status : Regular
Employee Group/Union Affiliation : A01|SEIU|United Healthworkers
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Job Category : Rehab Services
Travel : No
Click Here To Apply