Job Functions, Duties, Responsibilities and Position Qualifications:
The Laboratory Assistant performs tasks to support the laboratory technical staff in the areas of specimen procurement, specimen processing and some basic lab testing.
- High School Diploma, G.E.D. or equivalent required
- Understanding of medical terminology preferred
- Technology/data entry experience preferred
- 1+ years of customer service experience preferred
- Able and authorized to work in the United States
- For hospital settings, additional requirements may apply and change without notice, including, but not limited to, criminal background check, health clearance and hospital compliance training
- Successfully pass Company pre-employment drug test and periodic and random thereafter
- Demonstrated and proven ability/experience in accomplishments in all of our five core values:
Under general supervision and in accordance with Company policies, procedures and guidelines, this position:
- Identifies patients with accuracy to perform venipunctures, heel sticks, and finger sticks with proficiency without supervision
- Labels specimens accurately and distributes them to the appropriate department to ensure specimen integrity
- May accessions specimens accurately into the LIS system using prescribed laboratory guidelines
- Processes specimens and prepares them for testing utilizing various types of lab equipment
- May track all specimen samples in LIS system for inventory purposes as required
- Maintains phlebotomy area and trays with ample supplies and in a clean and safe condition
- Maintains adequate level of supplies in the accessioning work area, where applicable
- Assists in the care and maintenance of lab work area, furnishings and equipment
- Troubleshoots missing samples inquiries from other CLH facilities or physician offices
- Follows test requirements of reference laboratory and procures appropriate specimen for testing
- Assists in disposing of all laboratory wastes following OSHA and lab guidelines
- May operate lab autoclave to render hazardous materials safe
- May act as backup receptionist or courier
- May be instructed to independently maintain operations at a satellite phlebotomy station/patient service center (PSC)
- May perform weekly inventory at site and place order with the purchasing department
- May receive requested stock items and distribute them to the appropriate place within the laboratory
- May perform limited testing (i.e., finger sticks, bleeding times, and sweat tests)
- May perform urine drug collections per DOT guidelines and process urine drug specimens
- May pack and prepare dangerous goods shipment items to outer island and/or mainland
- May be assigned to work at other locations as required
- Adheres to safety, confidentiality, compliance, and legal requirements & guidelines
- Maintains consistent and reliable attendance and complies with company guidelines on attendance
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Occasional carrying, pushing, and pulling of objects; and lifting of up to 50 lbs may be required
- Frequent reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching
- Must be able to hear, see, and respond adequately
- Frequent prolonged standing, walking, sitting, and bending over
- Use of hands and fingers
- Air conditioned laboratory environment
- Frequent exposure to video display terminals
- Frequent contact with water (hand washing and cleaning), bio-hazardous body fluids, and occasional hazardous chemicals
- Sufficient noise and interruptions to cause distraction
- May be asked to work extended hours
- Perceive pertinent details and verbal or tabular material
- Ability to see things from the customer’s/patient’s point of view and respond in a timely appropriate and courteous manner
- Handle emergency or crisis situations
- Ability to work effectively with others and promotes positive working relationships
- Perform arithmetic operations quickly and accurately
- Understand meaning of words, ideas associated with them and their effective use
- Understand instructions, reason, and make judgments
- Effective oral and written communication skills, excellent organizational and interpersonal skills, and computer literacy required
- CUSTOMER-FOCUSED: Aware of customer needs; makes decisions with customer in mind; builds strong customer relationships.
- COMMUNICATOR: Proactively conveys a clear, convincing, and timely message; possesses strong verbal, written, and presentation skills.
- PROBLEM SOLVER: Uses data and logic to quickly find solutions to difficult challenges.
- COLLABORATIVE: Works effectively with others to accomplish goals.
- TECHNICALLY COMPETENT: Possesses and maintains the functional and technical knowledge and skills to successfully perform job.
- QUALITY CONSCIOUS: Delivers accuracy and precision in work products; mindful of technical requirements, rules, and standards.
- TIME-WISE: Prioritizes; respects others’ time; adheres to schedules and agendas.
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Clinical Laboratories of Hawaii, LLP
40 hrs/week; Primary Days, Mon-Sat 0400-1800
Sonic Healthcare USA provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Click Here To Apply