Do you love books and love helping people? The New York Public Library has been an essential provider of free books, information, ideas and education for all New Yorkers for more than 100 years. As a Library Page at The New York Public Library you will do that and much more. A Page position is meant to give you knowledge about what it means to work within a library system. You will have access to a wealth of knowledge and experience which will allow you to decide if the library is where you want to begin your career. We are looking for candidates that demonstrate a strong work ethic, are reliable and possess excellent written and verbal communications skills. You will be expected to be an ambassador for the library, so a friendly demeanor goes a long way.
The library page position is scheduled for 14 hours per week, including evenings and Saturdays. Schedules are variable based on library needs and may be subject to change.
Under the direction of a Page supervisor, the Library Page:
- Projects a positive and courteous attitude to the public by providing exceptional customer service
- Shelves and arranges books, CDs, DVDs and other library materials in order alphabetically and numerically
- Answers in-person inquiries, helps patrons locate needed materials and refers patrons to the appropriate place or person for assistance
- Assists patrons with basic computer, internet and audio/visual equipment usage
- Locates and prepares library materials requested by patrons
- Assists staff with checking materials for damage and removing them from the shelves
- Helps set up public spaces for events and programs
- Performs other related tasks as needed
- Current enrollment in a degree program at an accredited school
- Proper employment certificate for minors under 18 as required by NYS law
- Ability to accurately and efficiently sort and arrange items in alphanumeric order
- Strong organizational skills and ability to follow detailed instruction in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent customer service skills and the ability to work with a diverse patronage
- Superb interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team
- Demonstrated reliability and professionalism
- Basic computer and basic technology skills such as Microsoft Office Suite and Google Applications
- Ability to troubleshoot basic computer and printer issues preferred
- Experience with eReaders and library technologies preferred
- Ability to speak foreign languages preferred
Absent a qualifying exception for medical or religious reasons, newly hired employees of the New York Public Library must present proof of receipt of a COVID-19 vaccination and may not begin employment at the Library until 14 days after their receipt of their second dose of either the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines or 14 days after their first dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. Newly hired employees who need additional time to receive their vaccination prior to their start date may request an adjournment of their start date with their hiring manager. The Library will consider such requests on a case by case basis, depending upon the Library’s operational needs, among other factors. The Library will further consider exemptions for prospective employees who cannot become vaccinated due to a qualifying medical condition or a sincerely held religious belief or practice. Candidates who receive a conditional offer of employment and who seek a medical or religious exemption to the Library’s vaccination policy will be provided with additional instructions at the time of the conditional offer.
All team members are expected and encouraged to embody the NYPL Core Values:
- Be Helpful to patrons and colleagues
- Be Resourceful in solving problems
- Be Curious in all aspects of your work
- Moderate lifting required (up to 25 lbs)
- Pushing book trucks
The New York Public Library is a free provider of education and information for the people of New York and beyond. With 92 locations—including research and branch libraries—throughout the Bronx, Manhattan, and Staten Island, the Library offers free materials, computer access, classes, exhibitions, programming and more to everyone from toddlers to scholars, and has seen record numbers of attendance and circulation in recent years. The New York Public Library serves more than 18 million patrons who come through its doors annually and millions more around the globe who use its resources at www.nypl.org.
Click Here To Apply