At Houston Methodist, the Monitor Technician position performs accurate EKG rhythm interpretation and other in electrocardiography functions that support the interprofessional healthcare team in delivering high quality, cost-effective care. This position maintains competency in electrocardiography (EKG), monitoring/computer skills, and non-invasive blood pressure (NIBP) and pulse oximetry (SpO2) as appropriate. The Monitor Tech employs effective, prompt communication throughout the hospital complex and provides direct patient care by performing patient preparation for monitoring.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE – 20%
Promotes to a positive work environment with the interprofessional care team to achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with all members of the patient care team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent patient care information and data in a comprehensive manner. Communication to promote both work efforts and problem resolution is clear, and professional. (EF)
- Participates in teamwork by responding positively to requests for assistance. Works well with others to make contributions to the work effort as a whole and facilitates problem resolution. (EF)
SERVICE – 25%
- Provides direct patient care by performing patient preparation for monitoring. (EF)
- Organizes workload, utilizing all available work time by assisting others and performing additional tasks. (EF)
- Receives information from various sources that is assimilated and communicated in an accurate, timely and effective manner. (EF)
- Demonstrates progressive skills through peer-to-peer accountability towards improving departmental score for patient satisfaction on unit-based scorecard. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY – 35%
- Demonstrates accuracy in EKG rhythm interpretation. As appropriate, monitors O2 sats and blood pressure, understanding parameters when to call a nurse. (EF)
- Promotes quality patient care by vigilant identification of changes or abnormalities in EKG morphology. Takes corrective action or communicates immediately, when appropriate, to proper personnel. (EF)
- Provides and accurately processes documents, quality data, and related centralized telemetry monitor (CTM) records. (EF)
- Ensures all patient care equipment has had QC performed as required, is in safe working order prior to use and documents findings accordingly. Reports any malfunctions to management and regularly practices preventive maintenance procedures; calls for service if needed. (EF)
- Reports “near misses” and inputs errors promptly into PSN to improve processes and identify trends. Contributes to identification of corrective action and improvement activities and contributes to meeting departmental and hospital targets for quality and safety. (EF)
FINANCE – 5%
- Maintains and accurately processes records, when applicable. (EF)
- Uses resources efficiently; does not waste supplies. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks, minimizing incidental overtime. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION – 10%
- Identifies own learning needs, consults with healthcare team experts and seeks continuing education opportunities to meet those needs. Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline competencies with a focus on continual development. Completes and updates the individual development plan (IDP) on an on-going basis. (EF)
- Participates in departmental projects and shared governance activities. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
High School diploma or equivalent education (examples include: GED, verification of homeschool equivalency, partial or full completion of post-secondary education, etc.)
- Prior healthcare and/or medical terminology experience preferred
- EKG interpretation skills preferred
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
American Heart Association BLS
- Successful completion of validated Basic EKG proficiency exam with a score of 80% and correct identification of lethal dysrhythmias during orientation
- EKG Monitoring Certification, either CCT, CET, CMT-BC, NRCEKG, ECG-BC or NTT through the National Telemetry Association, within 1 year of hire
- Current incumbents: one year from date of job description revision to obtain an EKG Monitoring Certification, either CCT, CET, CMT-BC, NRCEKG, NTT or ECG-BC
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations.
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
- Possesses basic computer knowledge; operates multiple computer systems to include, EPIC Information Systems and Microsoft Office software to maintain patient and exam document
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
- Exhibits strong interpersonal and team player skills with all levels of the healthcare team and assures delivery of excellent customer service to all patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers
- Successful passage of a basic EKG interpretation skills test for initial and ongoing orientation
- Maintains competency in non-invasive blood pressure (NIBP) and pulse oximetry (SpO2), as appropriate
- Demonstrates proficiency in the use and maintenance of equipment such as Remote Viewing Station (RVS), transmitters, monitoring equipment, computers, facsimile and printers
Other (dept. approved)
No (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)
Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (i.e. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above.
May require travel within
Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside
of Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: __________________________
As an ISO 9001 certified hospital, Houston Methodist West Hospital not only continues Houston Methodist standard of high quality, advanced technology and personalized care, it also continues the culture focused on employees, volunteers and physicians that Houston Methodist has been recognized for. Houston Methodist West Hospital offers competitive benefits, diversity in the workforce, recognition, and a unique environment focused on patient and family centered care with our I CARE values of integrity, compassion, accountability, respect and excellence at our foundation.
Click Here To Apply