About American Ordnance
American Ordnance is a subsidiary of Day & Zimmermann which is a century-old, family-owned company whose 41,000+ employees specialize in construction & engineering, staffing and defense solutions for leading corporations and governments around the world. Operating from more than 150 worldwide locations with 2.4 Billion USD in revenue, Day & Zimmermann is currently ranked as one of the largest private companies in the U.S. by Forbes. Founded in 1901 and headquartered in Philadelphia, PA, our first work was to develop “Betterment Reports” that helped modernize American factories. Today, we are still in the business of betterment – maintaining the nation’s power infrastructure, protecting American freedoms and driving technological advancements around the world. We do what we say.® https://aollc.biz
A Firefighter is needed for a full-time, staff opportunity with American Ordnance located in Middletown, Iowa.
We expect this position will be included in the recent federal Executive Order (EO) and subsequent guidance, requiring federal contractors and employers with more than 100 employees to implement a vaccine mandate; therefore, it is expected that anyone hired into this position will need to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon commencement of employment in accordance with the EO and any subsequent guidance, unless an accommodation is legally required.
The Work You’ll Be Doing:
- Safely drive firefighting units to and from fires or other emergencies following laws and regulations. Operate pumps and power and other mechanical equipment as required. Keep inventory of tools and equipment on trucks.
- Clean and service units, maintaining them in a condition of readiness. Report mechanical failures or difficulties and missing or damaged equipment.
- Operate various Fire Department pumping apparatus with multiple water intake and discharge situations at an emergency scene with limited supervision.
- Perform required fire truck cleaning duties, inventory checks and daily/weekly/monthly inspections. Inventories must be check after every emergency response or training drill.
What You Need to Bring to the Table:
- High School diploma or GED required
- 2 years related experience
- Firefighter I, Firefighter II, Fire Inspector I, Driver Operator Pumper I, Hazmat Technician
- EMT-B, Iowa Chauffer’s license or greater
- Must be able to obtain secret clearance
- Great attitude and team player
- Successful completion of background screening process
The Big Picture – Top Skills You Should Possess:
- Must pass quarterly and yearly physical agility testing.
- Thorough knowledge of the mechanical principles involved in the operation of fire units and associated equipment.
- Ability to learn the layout of the facility, the location of roads, the nature and location of hazardous premises, principal buildings, fire alarm reporting equipment and hydrant or other water source locations.
- Considerable knowledge of fire service hydraulics and the operation of water distribution systems.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions, good oral and written communication skills, to react quickly and calmly under emergency conditions, and to use judgment in making work decisions.
Must be able to perform the following physical and mental tasks:
- Visual acuity (e.g., needed to prepare and analyze data, to transcribe documents, to view a computer, to read, to inspect objects, to operate machinery.
- Balancing (e.g. maintaining equilibrium when walking, climbing, crouching, etc.)
- Stooping (e.g. bending the spine at the waist)
- Reaching (e.g. reaching the arms or legs in any direction)
- Lifting motion or lifting objects more than 15 pounds
- Repetitive motion of any part of the body
- Kneeling, crouching or crawling
- Pushing or pulling (e.g. using a part of your body to press against something in a downward or outward direction or in a dragging or hauling motion)
- Manual Dexterity (e.g. picking, pinching, typing, or other working that uses fingers)
- Grasping (e.g. use of hand to apply pressure)
- Feeling (e.g. perceiving an object’s size, shape, texture, etc.)
- Climbing (e.g. ascending/descending ladders, stairs, scaffolding, ramps, pole, etc. using feet and legs and hands/arms to climb)
- Capacity to think, concentrate and focus for long periods of time.
- Ability to read complex documents in the English language.
- Capacity to reason and make sound decisions.
- Ability to write complex documents in the English language.
- Capacity to express thoughts orally.
- Ability to wear a mask, respirator, bullet proof vest, or other equipment.
- Ability to regularly perform all job functions at Company’s office or worksite.
- Ability to withstand environmental conditions (e.g. extreme heat or cold, grass, wind, sand, fumes, odors, gases, extreme noise, etc.)
What’s In It For You?
Candidates that are hired will receive a competitive base salary, 401k, a comprehensive medical/dental/vision plan, parental leave and paid time off.
What Are You Waiting For? Apply Now! Recruiter: Andrea McLeod
Diversity, Inclusion & Equal Employment Opportunity
American Ordnance is committed to maintaining an inclusive workforce, where employees are hired, retained, compensated and promoted based on their contributions to our Company. Our collective strength is rooted in over 110 years of diverse employees and businesses, commitment to success, and delivery on promises made. Federal and state Equal Employment Opportunity laws prohibit employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, citizenship status, veteran status and disability status. American Ordnance is committed to providing an equal opportunity work environment in full compliance with these laws. If you are an individual with a disability and you require an accommodation in the application process, please email [email protected], and please specify which position you are interested in, including job title and location.
Click Here To Apply