Health First Family Care Center, Inc. “The Heart of the Community” has an exciting opportunity for a motivated and professional WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor to join our fast-paced team within a growing community health center. HealthFirst Family Care Center, Inc. provides comprehensive services including medical care, dental care, and gastroenterology services, health education, health assessment and screenings.
Immediate Opening (10/2021)
WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, 4-8 hours weekly In Office/Home
The WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor is a paraprofessional support person who gives basic breastfeeding information and encouragement to WIC pregnant and breastfeeding mothers and helps them prevent and handle common breastfeeding concerns.
- Attends breastfeeding training classes to become a Peer Counselor
- Receives a caseload of WIC mothers and makes routine, periodic contact with them
- Counsels WIC pregnant and breastfeeding mothers about breastfeeding by telephone or in person at the WIC offices
- Is available to make calls/texts from home beyond normal WIC office hours to new mothers who are having breastfeeding problems
- Keeps accurate records and enters all contacts made with WIC mothers, according to State Contact Frequency Protocols, in the WIC computer system
- Refers mothers to the WIC Breastfeeding Coordinator, WIC Nutritionists, WIC IBCLC, the mother’s physician, or community partners as appropriate
- Teaches breastfeeding classes, virtually and/or in person at the WIC offices, for pregnant and postpartum mothers and leads breastfeeding support groups
- Attends monthly staff meetings, periodic state meetings and breastfeeding conferences/workshops as appropriate
- Reads assigned books and materials on breastfeeding that are provided by the Breastfeeding Coordinator
- Attends and participate in team meetings as requested and communicate effectively with clients and staff in other departments
- Maintains confidentiality of client, employee and agency information in accordance with federal and state laws and funder requirements
- Ensures compliance with program/agency policies and procedures
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- Is fluent in English, Spanish and/or Portuguese
- Has breastfed at least one baby within the last 5 years (does not have to be currently breastfeeding)
- Is a current or past WIC Participant
- Is enthusiastic about breastfeeding and wants to help other mothers enjoy a positive experience
- Is willing to make phone calls/text from home beyond the WIC office hours
- Has excellent customer service and communication skills
- Is able to remain calm and use good judgment in unusual or stressful situations
- Has the ability to work respectfully and effectively with diverse cultural groups and socio-economic backgrounds
- Has good computer skills
- A clear background check is required.
- Directly reports to the WIC Breastfeeding Coordinator and the WIC Director.
- This position has no Direct Reports.
- Ability to drive.
- Ability to see and read a computer screen and paper documents.
- Sitting for sustained periods of time.
This position will travel to training location within the state. The WIC Program environment is a noisy office setting with daily, heavy Participant flow including many infants and toddlers. As part of the responsibilities of this position, the WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor will have direct or incidental contact with clients served by HFFCC in various programs funded or administered through the Executive Office of Health and Human Services.
All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with
disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
This is a Non-Benefited 1099 position.
HealthFirst Family Care Center, Inc. is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)
HealthFirst celebrates and supports diversity and varied perspectives. We strive to eliminate discrimination and to hire applicants of diverse backgrounds, cultures and thoughts. HealthFirst does not discriminate against any individual on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy/breastfeeding, transgender status, and sexual orientation), age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, or any other protected class.
Click Here To Apply