Public Works of Boulder County is hiring an Automotive & Heavy Equipment Technician, Senior. The Automotive & Heavy Equipment Technician, Senior is the lead/ specialist level classification in the equipment technician series. The Automotive & Heavy Equipment Technician, Senior performs a variety of highly skilled duties in the maintenance and repair of light duty, medium duty, heavy trailer, truck and road maintenance equipment.
Work hours are 7:00am – 3:30pm Monday – Friday (October-May) and 6:00am – 4:30pm Monday – Thursday (May – October). This position will work at the St Vrain Road Building in Longmont, CO. Under FLSA guidelines, this position is non-exempt (eligible for overtime). Boulder County requires its employees to reside in the state of Colorado as of the first day of work.
Hiring Salary Range: $51,672.00 – $74,400.00 Annually
Classification Salary Range: $51,672.00 – $74,400.00 Annually
Tentative Hiring Timeline:
- First Round Interviews: August 19th
- Second Round Interviews: August 19th
- Reference Check: August 23rd
Examples of Duties
- Performs and directs diagnostics, major and minor repairs and general maintenance on gas hybrid, gasoline and diesel engines and major drive train components transmissions, differentials and drive units
- Performs and directs diagnostics, major and minor repairs on emissions system, cooling systems, fuel systems, electrical circuits, air conditioning systems, air systems and hydraulic systems
- Performs major and minor tune-ups using appropriate technical information outlined by manufacturer
- Performs annual heavy diesel emissions test and D.O.T. inspections
- Performs general metal fabrication and welding, use of gas torch, arc and mig welders Diagnoses and solves complex and non-routine maintenance and repair problems
- Maintains necessary records of all work performed using computerized fleet management system
- Assists with training of less experienced employees and directs work of others, as required Performs related work, as required
- May be reassigned during emergency situations
PLEASE NOTE: When submitting your application be sure to include all relevant education and experience, as applications are screened based on the qualifications listed in this position announcement. Applications that do not appear to meet minimum qualifications, as outlined below, will not be considered. Resumes are not accepted in lieu of completed applications.
Please be aware that your cover letter and resume will not be accessed in the initial screening process, so you must complete your application and supplemental questions with as much detail as possible. Any personally identifiable information (PII) such as name and address will be redacted from applications that meet the minimum screening requirements and are forwarded to the hiring manager. If the hiring manager selects you to advance in the hiring process, your cover letter and resume will then be accessible to the hiring team.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Boulder County is looking for well qualified candidates to fill our positions. In this position, we are looking for a minimum of a high school diploma, or equivalent and at least four years of experience in the repair and maintenance of heavy trucks, heavy equipment, and mechanized automotive equipment. Additional related education may count towards required experience.
- Applicants must possess hand tools necessary to perform Mechanic III duties
- Applicants must possess or obtain a Class A or Class B commercial driver’s license (CDL) within 9 months of hire date
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK, FINGERPRINTING AND DRUG TEST:
- Applicants must pass a criminal background check, fingerprinting and drug test
- Bilingual in English and Spanish is preferred
- Applicants must register or be registered with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMSCA) Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse, and must authorize Boulder County to perform a Full Query prior to hiring.
Boulder County is a family-friendly workplace dedicated to fostering a diverse, inclusive, and respectful environment for all employees. We prohibit unlawful discrimination against applicants and employees on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, socio-economic status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
Click Here To Apply