Pflugerville Independent School District – Job Description
Job Title/Position: Teacher, Special Education Department/School: Assigned Campus
Pay Information: Teacher Compensation Plan Supervised By: Principal
FLSA: Exempt Date Revised: January 2020
Provide students receiving special education services with appropriate learning activities and experiences designed to help them fulfill their potential
for intellectual, emotional, physical, and social growth.
Minimum Qualifications (Experience/Education/Certification):
Bachelor’s degree and valid Texas teaching certificate (Special Education)
1. Collaborate with students, parents, and other staff members to develop IEPs through the ARD Committee process for each student
assigned; implement instructional, therapeutic, or skill development program for assigned students and show written evidence of
preparation as required.
2. Collaborate with general education teachers to provide shared instructional responsibilities for students receiving special education services
in the general education classroom.
3. Plan and use appropriate instructional and learning strategies, activities, materials, and equipment that reflect understanding of the learning
styles and needs of students assigned.
4. Participate in ARD committee meetings as needed; conduct assessment of student abilities learning styles and use results to plan for
instructional activities; present subject matter according to guidelines established by IEP.
5. Conduct ongoing assessment of student achievement through formal and informal testing, including benchmarks and ongoing progress
monitoring; provide or supervise personal care, medical care, and feeding of students as stated in IEP; assume responsibility and sponsor
extracurricular activities as appropriate.
6. Create a classroom environment conducive to active and successful student learning and appropriate for the physical, social, and emotional
development of students; manage student behavior; consult district and outside people regarding education, social, medical, and personal
needs of students.
7. Implement SAMA verbal de-escalation techniques and physical containments as appropriate.
8. Provide in-class support for students by differentiating, accommodating, and modifying instruction and assessments.
9. Maintain documentation and other case management responsibilities for assigned students.
10. Establish and maintain effective open communication with students, parents, teachers, and administrators; participate in staff professional
11. Plan and implement appropriate behavior support and social skills techniques, systems, instruction and activities.
12. Collect and analyze academic and behavior data to guide student supports.
13. Follow Educator Code of Conduct & all policies, procedures, laws and State/Federal regulations.
14. Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge of all applicable federal, state, and local laws, guidelines and procedures, including special education
Knowledge of curriculum and instruction
Knowledge of subjects assigned, including current research
Skill in interventions and instructional strategies
Skill in effectively managing a classroom and student behavior, and implementing a BIP
Skill in communicating effectively with others
Skill in accommodating and modifying instruction for various student needs
Skill in working with various forms of equipment including, but not limited to, personal computers, calculators, projectors, and printers
Skill in working with computer tools, including but not limited to, email, internet, word processing and spreadsheets
Skill in working in collaborative team-based environments
Physical ability to lift or contain students as needed
May supervise assigned educational associate(s)
Working Conditions (Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Demands):
Maintain emotional control under stress; biological exposure to bacteria and communicable diseases; regular heavy lifting of students; must be able
to lift and/or carry at least 50 lbs independently and over 50 lbs with assistance; ability to contain students when necessary to ensure safety.
The foregoing statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job title.
They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, knowledge, skills, and abilities required.
Click Here To Apply