Research Assistant I, Sola Lab
The Research Assistant position involves both research and administrative responsibilities. Under the supervision of the Principal Investigator, the Research Assistant conducts independent and collaborative research involving in vivo animal studies, molecular biology, cell cultures, and histology. Administrative duties, include (but are not limited to) maintenance of laboratory inventories, ordering laboratory supplies, biohazardous shipping, oversees maintenance of laboratory equipment, and attends monthly Technical Staff meetings. Opportunities may exist for the Research Assistant to analyze the results of his/her experiments and to prepare these results for manuscript submission and presentation at scientific meetings,
- Under the direction of the Principal Investigator, conducts collaborative and independent research requiring interactions with subjects, patient data collection, and possible tissue collection during surgery.
- Completes appropriate training for each research project. Adheres to all Institute policies and procedures, attends annual training sessions, and attends additional trainings if needed.
- Maintains accurate records of research findings and results in a detailed up-to-date laboratory notebook.
- Maintains folder with current, up-to-date protocols.
- Participates in weekly laboratory meetings and presents findings (schedule determined by Principal Investigator).
- Contributes to the development and assembly of Principal Investigator abstracts, posters, and slide presentations for scientific meetings.
- Assists Principal Investigator with the preparation of and submission of protocols to the IRB.
- Completes and/or coordinates the collection, processing and storage of experimental samples, and maintains a detailed record for future use.
- Maintains multiple laboratory inventories: purchasing, chemical, drug and biological materials.
- Oversees maintenance of all laboratory equipment. This includes on call responsibilities in the event of after hour equipment failures.
- Performs ordering for the laboratory, completing the necessary training, and creating and managing all purchase orders.
- Oversees the shipping and receiving of biohazardous material from and to the lab and stays current with all required training.
- Under the direction of the Principal Investigator, will oversee the orientation and training of new/junior research assistant/summer students who join the Sola Del-Valle lab.
- Attends seminars and symposiums as opportunities arise, when not interfering with experiments.
- Attends monthly Tech Staff Meetings to represent the lab and bring back important updates.
- Performs other laboratory related functions as required or directed.
As a not-for-profit organization, Mass General Brigham is committed to supporting patient care, research, teaching, and service to the community by leading innovation across our system. Founded by Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Massachusetts General Hospital, Mass General Brigham supports a complete continuum of care including community and specialty hospitals, a managed care organization, a physician network, community health centers, home care and other health-related entities. Several of our hospitals are teaching affiliates of Harvard Medical School, and our system is a national leader in biomedical research.
We’re focused on a people-first culture for our system’s patients and our professional family. That’s why we provide our employees with more ways to achieve their potential. Mass General Brigham is committed to aligning our employees’ personal aspirations with projects that match their capabilities and creating a culture that empowers our managers to become trusted mentors. We support each member of our team to own their personal development—and we recognize success at every step.
Our employees use the Mass General Brigham values to govern decisions, actions and behaviors. These values guide how we get our work done: Patients, Affordability, Accountability & Service Commitment, Decisiveness, Innovation & Thoughtful Risk; and how we treat each other: Diversity & Inclusion, Integrity & Respect, Learning, Continuous Improvement & Personal Growth, Teamwork & Collaboration.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s degree with research expertise (2+ years). Knowledge of experiment planning, computer skills, and data analysis skills. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Knowledge of medical terminology and potential human subject interaction experience, helpful. Excellent interpersonal skills. Ability to work independently and as part of a team. Well organized and detail-oriented, a must. Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
Work will primarily take place in a research laboratory setting, as well as within the clinic at MEEI. Job may require exposure to bio-hazardous or toxic substances, as well as, Blood Borne Pathogens.
Position requires alertness and manual dexterity.
HIPAA Privacy Training and Sanctions
All employees who have access to health information whose confidentiality is protected by the HIPAA Privacy Rule are required by the Rule to receive training so that they have an understanding and knowledge of the Privacy Rule that corresponds to their job responsibilities and of the group health plan’s policies and procedures that impact on their job duties. Training on the requirements of the HIPAA Privacy Rule and the plan’s health information policies and procedures under the direction of the institution’s privacy officer is a pre-requisite for this position.
Employees who violate the requirements of the HIPAA Privacy Rule will be subject to discipline, up to and including termination.
This description is intended to indicate essential tasks and levels of work difficulty that will be required of positions that will be given this title. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of supervisors to assign, direct, or control the work of staff members under their supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned but that are of similar kind or level of difficulty
Mass General Brigham is an Equal Opportunity Employer & by embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, age, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, military service, genetic information, and/or other status protected under law.
Primary Location MA-Boston-MEI Mass Eye and Ear Main Building Boston
Work Locations MEI Mass Eye and Ear Main Building Boston 243 Charles Street Boston 02114
Job Research – Other
Organization Mass. Eye and Ear (MEE)
Standard Hours 40
Shift Day Job
Employee Status Regular
Recruiting Department MEI Ophthalmology Research
Job Posting Jun 8, 2021
Click Here To Apply