Are you seeking a challenging role, a positive work culture, and an opportunity to make a leadership impact? We are seeking a Director of Finance with a strategic perspective to lead our finance/accounting team. As part of the executive team, the Director of Finance will provide financial leadership, analysis and administration of a $5.3M budget at a fiscally strong 501(c)3 nonprofit, with a diverse funding pool, including fee for services, approximately 25 government grants (CDBG/HUD, US SBA, State of CA, etc.), foundation grants, and charitable contributions.
This position is with the Renaissance Entrepreneurship Center, www.rencenter.org, a 35-year-old non-profit that helps lower income Bay Area men and women start and grow their own businesses; transforming the lives of their owners and creating sustainable jobs, economic vitality, and vibrant neighborhoods. Renaissance owns and operates our own building in San Francisco’s South of Market (SOMA) community, which is the site of our headquarters and home to over 35 small business tenants. We operate 4 additional program sites (Richmond, San Francisco’s Bayview District, East Palo Alto and an upcoming site in South San Francisco) and provide services throughout the Bay Area.
The Director of Finance reports to the Managing Director, and is a key member of the executive leadership team. Responsibilities include:
- Manage the Accounting staff (Accounting Manager and Staff Accountant)
- Participate in strategic planning, influencing the future course of the organization.
- Lead the annual financial planning process including development of the annual organization budget
- Lead collaboration between finance, development, and HR
- Provide guidance to Program Directors for the successful financial administration of their sites and programs.
- Guide and direct the organization’s financial administration. Work with CPA on audit and tax preparation.
- Prepare financial reports and financial analysis including variance reporting, budget and grant reports for board, staff, and external funders.
- Lead financial management of approximately 25 government grants (CDBG/HUD, SBA, State of CA, etc.).
- Create, maintain and/or improve financial and operational policies and procedures. Develop new financial tools and models to address opportunities and challenges
- Oversee and ensure accuracy of General Accounting functions including AP, AR, journal entries, bank reconciliations, investment monitoring, coding of expenses/revenue, fixed assets, etc.
- Support program leaders in proper budgeting and staff allocation across programs and grants; execute payroll allocation based on timekeeping
- Solid experience and understanding of accounting and financial planning for nonprofits.
- At least 5 years financial management experience.
- Strategic thinking and analytic ability, with a positive orientation to problem solving.
- Demonstrated ability to work and communicate effectively with staff at all levels, including the ability to explain accounting and financial concepts to non-financial people
- Proficiency with accounting software, Excel and other MS Office applications.
- Experience with government contracts and grants is preferred.
- BA in Accounting or equivalent practical experience; MBA or CPA is a plus.
Salary and Benefits:
- Competitive salary
- Excellent benefits that includes generous paid time off, medical, dental and vision insurance, and 401(k).
- Flexibility to work remotely some days each week.
Renaissance believes in the dignity and rights of all persons. We are an equal opportunity employer; individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Renaissance considers all qualified applicants for employment and complies with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance in addressing arrest and conviction records in hiring decisions.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $100,000.00 – $110,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Bachelor’s (Preferred)
- Nonprofit Accounting: 2 years (Preferred)
- One location
- Temporarily due to COVID-19
Click Here To Apply