PART TIME NON BENEFITED
This position is responsible for being proficient in one or more of the following positions: Patient Cook and/or Catering Specialist. May also include experience in any Food Service Group A or B positions. This position is responsible for promoting a team approach within the work environment by assisting coworkers and demonstrating self-initiative. Work assignments may vary as needed. This position must be able to complete all assigned job tasks in accordance with Food Safety Guidelines prescribed by the County Health Department and ServSafe.
Demonstrates excellent customer service in that his/her attitude and actions are always consistent with the standards contained in the Vision, Mission, and Values of Covenant and the commitment to Extraordinary Care for Every Generation.
Builds effective working relationships and a spirit of teamwork within the work unit.
- Contributes to organization success targets for patient satisfaction and net operating margin.
- Demonstrate appropriate customer service skills to greet and communicate with customers, peers and leaders in a way that best represents Covenant HealthCare and the Nutrition Service department.
- Completes work assignments in a timely manner.
- Knowledge of department policies and procedures.
- Work effectively with minimal supervision and take initiatives in problem-solving.
- Effectively communicate within the department.
- Observes and complies with all State Health Codes.
- Achieves high standards of sanitation and an organized and safe work environment by following the County Health Food Code Guidelines.
- Resolves customer complaints.
- Other duties as assigned.
Patient Cook Responsibilities:
- Responsible for food preparation and cooking as required including preparing, handling, and storing all food items and equipment according to Health Inspection guidelines.
- Follows dietary restrictions and prepares food according to guidelines.
- Recipe utilization.
- Assist coordinators and manager to ensure efficiencies and safety in procurement and use of food and/or inventory.
- Cleaning floors, equipment, and all work surfaces.
- Restocking food/supplies in cafeterias, kitchens, and patient units.
- Assist with catering as requested.
- Work closely with diet technicians and dietitians for questions and clarifications for patient food choices.
- Ensures accurate and timely delivery of quality food service to all customers within Covenant HealthCare.
- Follows routine daily cleaning schedules.
Catering Specialist Responsibilities:
- Focus on accuracy and timeliness regarding internal and external catered functions at Michigan, Cooper, Harrison, Mackinaw, eCovenant, CMU, and all physician office complexes.
- Collaborates deliveries and set-ups of internal and external catered functions.
- Establishes plan for staffing needed for catered events.
- Maintains accountability as first contact for Nutrition Services to arrange catered events or orders for patients, families, physicians, agencies, and employees.
- Contributes to system improvements.
- Provides information support.
- Works with manager to maintain competitive pricing for catering.
- Processes billing per month for interdepartmental charges and for external billing. This includes management of accounts that are tax exempt, processing of original bill and follow-up billing as needed.
- Creating and maintaining accurate monthly and yearly reports for floor stock, meal counts, internal and external catered events and charges.
- Responsible for the accuracy of the floor stock counts and correct charges to the appropriate unit/department.
- Collaborates with the Campus Coordinator all deliveries, luncheons, meeting set-up arrangements, which include linen needs (when appropriate).
- Effectively problem solves. Works with cook and/or leadership team to develop catering/retail menus.
- Work with purchasing to procure appropriate foods and supplies for catering/retail functions.
- Provides professional telephone skills, maintains filing system, and ensures menus are printed and in stock for patient use.
- Dispatches Porter as needed for service.
- Effectively communicate within the department.
- Assist other employees when needed.
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
- ServSafe certification required at hire or transfer or within 6 months of hire or transfer.
- Cooking food service experience and diet knowledge preferred.
- Office management skills or a related field with comparable experience of 1-3 years of healthcare food service and/or catering.
- Ability to work in a team environment as well as independently without supervision.
- Ability to demonstrate initiative.
- Ability to accept and adapt to change.
- Ability to use or operate kitchen equipment including dish machine, ovens, tray assembly, and grill.
- Knowledge of Food Code.
- Ability to meet time deadlines to complete job tasks.
- Ability to multitask.
- Knowledge of computer software programs such as Microsoft Office, Outlook and other essential office equipment skills.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong customer service skills
- Strong communication skills in both written and oral communication.
- Ability to prioritize work to meet deadlines.
- Ability to handle stressful situations.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state and local standards.
- Constant standing, walking, twisting, reaching, handling, fingering, talking, hearing, and smelling.
- Constant near, midrange and far vision, depth perception and field of vision.
- Constant lifting 0-10 lbs.
- Frequent lifting, carrying, pulling, pushing, climbing, and balancing.
- Occasional sitting, stooping, kneeling, crouching, and squatting.
- Occasional lifting 11-100 lbs.
NOTICE REGARDING LATEX SENSITIVITY IN APPLICANTS FOR EMPLOYMENT.
It has been determined that Covenant HealthCare cannot provide a latex safe or latex free work environment at any of its facilities. Unfortunately, that means that any individual, including an applicant or an employee, is likely to be exposed to latex while on Covenant’s premises. Therefore, latex tolerance is considered to be an essential function for any position with Covenant.