We are looking for a Phlebotomist for the SJoHMG Chapman Lab Department at St. Joseph Heritage Healthcare.
Location: Orange, CA
Work Schedule: On call/Per diem
Shift: 8 hour, Days
New graduate, entry level, as a Phlebotomist in a clinical lab or ambulatory care setting. Under the general supervision of the Laboratory Supervisor, this position performs capillary and venous specimen collections on adults and children. Other duties include spinning, aliquoting, labeling, and preparing specimens for Reference Laboratory testing. Position also requires extensive data entry of patient and testing information into Laboratory computer system.
- Performs capillary and venous specimen collections as required per laboratory protocol, which will include CLIA or other accrediting agency regulations if applicable, taking into account the age-specific needs and requirements of the patient and/or family as per division policies and procedures.
- Spins, tubes/aliquots, labels, and prepares specimens accurately for Clinical Laboratory and Reference Laboratory testing while adhering to infection control, universal precautions and OSHA requirements.
- Answers telephones, responds to questions and follows through on all requests. Performs general clerical duties including faxing, copying and filing.
- Works to register patients as assigned, partnering with other phlebotomy caregivers. Using the PSJH Lab EMR to ensuring complete and accurate information for ordering and claims, enters all information, including, but not limited to lab orders and ICD-10s, following the written requisitions which can be marked or written on and insurance information.Accurately enters lab orders from the lab requisition, and prepares the lab requisition & lab orders along with patient labels for the phlebotomists working at the draw stations.
- Communicates with staff and providers at all levels in a timely, efficient, and professional manner. In addition, maintains current standing orders and notifies physicians when standing orders expire.
- Responsible for data entry of lab specimens prior to being sent for analysis (i.e. urine, stool samples, cultures, etc.) and accurately submits laboratory charges in AEMR. Ensures that all specimens collected maintain positive patient identification.
- Responsible for acknowledging, greeting and informing patients of proper protocols for urine cultures, stool samples, etc.
- Responsible to clarify and rectify billing issues due to incomplete or incorrect ICD-10 choices directly with provider.Is a resource to Quest and Lab Corp in resolving and clarifying questions regarding patient test requirements (i.e. incomplete lab requests).
- Attends and actively participates in all mandatory laboratory/business department meetings/in-services, staff meetings and assigned committees.
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served including knowledge of the principles of growth and development and psychosocial characteristics and interventions for infant (0-1 year), child (1-5 years), school age (6-12 years), adolescent (13-17 years), young adult (18-45 years), middle adult (46-60 years), older adult (60+ years).
- Must be able to perform blood specimen collections on pediatric, adult and geriatric patients.
- Basic computer skills including Microsoft Word, an e-mail system and data entry.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- High level of customer service skills with a genuine caring approach to helping people.
- Maintain a positive attitude with changing conditions.
- Good organizational abilities.
- Requires good written and verbal communications skills to communicate effectively with individuals at all levels of the organization.
- Must be able to work under general supervision.
- Must have a professional and mature demeanor.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced department and handle multiple tasks, work with interruptions, and deal effectively with confidential information.
- Bilingual English/Spanish communication skills preferred.
Minimum Position Qualifications:
- H.S. Diploma or GED
- Coursework/Training – Completion of an accredited training program for phlebotomy.
- Current California Phlebotomy License (CPT-1).
- Current BLS (CPR) card.
Preferred Position Qualifications:
Experience : 1 year of experience as a Phlebotomist in a clinical laboratory and ambulatory care setting, with special training as appropriate.
Mission Heritage Medical Group is one of California’s most respected medical groups. With over 3,000 employees and 75 locations throughout California, including, Northern California, Orange County, High Desert and Los Angeles County, Mission Heritage Medical Group has been continually recognized as a leader in quality, customer service and information technology. This kind of success is the result of team work, a commitment to excellence and a strong adherence to the organization’s mission, vision and values. Mission Heritage Medical Group provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Mission Heritage Medical Group complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Company: Heritage Healthcare
Category: Clinical Laboratory Scientist/ Microbiologist
Req ID: R332340
Click Here To Apply