This position is Unclassified and serves at the will of the Appointing Authority.
The City of Richmond Department of Social Services is seeking a highly qualified candidate for the unclassified position of Social Casework Specialist with the Healthy Families Program. This program prevents child abuse and neglect among high-risk teens and adults by providing intensive home visitation services until the toddlers are three (3) years of age. All families receive weekly visits for the first six (6) months of the child’s birth.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Considerable knowledge in Social and human services programs and practices; Early childhood development, brain development, and age-specific milestones; Substance abuse symptoms and treatment; Community-based programs and resources; Aspects of maternal and fetal health; Disability Determination Services (DDS) programs; Child abuse and domestic violence prevention/awareness programs; The practice of “trauma-informed” care; and Mental health conditions and disorders.
Demonstrated skills in motivational interviewing; customer service; interpersonal, oral/written communication, and presentation skills; and using automated technology (e.g. Microsoft Office Suite) and maintaining case records.
Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of individuals; schedule and manage workloads to meet deadlines; and manage time effectively and prioritize tasks.
MINIMUM TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
- High School Diploma or GED;
- Bachelor’s degree preferred;
- One year of specialized vocational training;
- Two years of related experience in a social services environment;
- An equivalent combination of training and experience (as approved by the department) may be used to meet the minimum qualifications of the classification.
LICENSING, CERTIFICATIONS, and OTHER SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
Valid Driver’s License with a satisfactory driving record and a valid Commonwealth of Virginia Driver’s License within 30 days of hire.
PREFERRED TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
- Home visitation experience and/or daycare or early childhood experience;
- Associate’s degree in Early Childhood Development;
- Three (3) years of case management experience;
- Experience conducting home visits;
- Counseling and client assessment experience and conducting developmental assessments with prenatal families or families with children under the age of one year.
- Experience and willingness to work with culturally diverse populations
- Infant mental health endorsement
Click Here To Apply