Ohio State launched a new application system, powered by Workday, on January 3, 2021. This update makes it easier for you to see and apply for openings across both The Ohio State University and Ohio State Wexner Medical Center through a single site, as well as track the status of your application. Screen reader users will encounter difficulty with this site during implementation. For assistance, please contact our ADA Coordinator at [email protected] or (614) 292-7024. If you have questions while submitting an application, please review these frequently asked questions .
- Ensure you have all necessary documents available when starting the application process. You can review the additional job description section on postings for documents that may be required.
- Prior to submitting your application, please review and update (if necessary) the information in your candidate profile as it will transfer to your application.
OCIO | Security Operations
With a moderate level of supervision, the Security Engineer will perform duties within and surrounding the Security Event Management system (currently Splunk). The individual will be expected to operate as a key member of the Security Event Management team and the larger Enterprise Security organization and could be called upon for various duties pertaining to information security and Security Event (Log) Management. This position includes operational, administrative and developmental components. Due to the complexity of the system, the successful candidate must have strong critical thinking skills, the ability to process large amounts of disparate information and a desire to understand how technology works at a detailed level. Duties will include but are not limited to working with customers to understand and utilize new and/or existing log sources; perform data analysis and create log visualizations to benefit the team and customers; triage and process work requests in our ticket queue; expand knowledge of the Security Event Management system and it’s supporting systems as to offer and implement new ideas and technologies; participate in system maintenance and upgrades; participate in data analysis projects as needed.
- 2-4 years of hands-on experience managing an information system
- 2-4 years of experience working with IDS/IPS, firewalls, HIDS, AV, or other security-related tools
– 2-4 years of general information technology experience – Experience working in *nix environments
- Excellent troubleshooting/critical thinking skills and strong technical learning aptitude
- Ability to interact with a wide variety of people and communicate technical subjects with non-technical users
- Ability to prioritize long-term and short-term tasks while managing time efficiently
- High level of initiative and self-motivation
- Bachelors degree or equivalent experience
- Splunk experience
- 3 or more years of hands-on experience in IT systems administration on Windows, MacOS or *nix platforms. (including executing program installation and configuration from the command line.)
The Targeted Hiring Range for this position is $70,000 – $90,000.
Office of the Chief Information Officer and the Office of Distance Education and eLearning
TALENT VALUE STATEMENT: Our goal is to foster a community of professionals with diverse skills, experiences and backgrounds who actively collaborate to support the mission of the Ohio State University. We are committed to personal and professional growth of individuals as they achieve their highest potential and support others along the way. In an ever-changing technology landscape our employees are flexible, innovative, and adept problem-solvers.
Mount Hall (0311)
Broadband Annual A3
Final candidates are subject to successful completion of a background check. A drug screen, physical, or psychological screening may be required during the post offer process.
Office of Human Resources | 1590 N. High St., Suite 300 | Columbus, OH 43201-2190 |
For questions, please call 614-247-6947 or email [email protected]
The Ohio State University is an equal opportunity employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, disability, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, genetic information, HIV/AIDS status, military status, national origin, race, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy, protected veteran status, or any other bases under the law.
Applicants are encouraged to complete and submit the Equal Employment Identification form.
Click Here To Apply