HIM Release of Information clerk is responsible for accurately releasing medical records information pursuant to requests from various sources, according to WCHN policies and HIPAA regulations. Analyze record requests for validity and determine what information needs to be released. Maintains appropriate documentation related to the release of information process. Handles incoming phone calls, acts as HIM Department receptionist, and assists walk-in customers.
1. Knowledgeable in all appropriate WCHN policies that apply to confidentiality, the release of information, HIPAA, and where to locate various components of the official medical record.
2. Ensures accurate lookup of patient information requests and match requests to encounters in WCHN registration and EMR systems.
3. Ensures all requests meet WCHN and HIPAA policies and requirements for confidentiality.
4. Coordinates activities related to releasing records pursuant to subpoenas and search and seizures. May work directly with WCHN Risk Management staff and WCHN Legal Counsel on these requests as appropriate.
5. Logs all requests into appropriate databases.
6. Retrieves paper records for scanning, copying, or document capture as needed to fulfill requests.
7. Produces copies of records in appropriate electronic or paper format as requested.
8. Produces copies of Radiology images on CD as requested.
9. Performs the following HIM reception area duties: answers a high volume of phone calls; assists walk-in customers with the release of information requests and questions; issues medical record numbers for WCMG, OP areas, and clinics; independently resolves customer service issues and complaints; retains and releases discharge dates to insurance & managed care companies.
10. Achieves and maintains established accuracy and productivity standards.
11. Achieves the organization’s expectations with regard to customer service, teamwork, and self-development.
12. May assist scanning area in functions of prep, scan, index, or quality assurance of documents as needed.
13. Fulfills all compliance responsibilities related to the position.
14. Performs other duties as assigned.
Required: Data entry required. Medical terminology and prior medical office or hospital experience required. Prior customer service experience required. Demonstrates ability to follow policy and procedures and ability to independently perform computer functions in both windows and web-based environments. Demonstrates decision-making ability, attention to detail and quality, strong interpersonal skills; team-oriented, and highly organized.
Minimum Experience: one year
Location: Norwalk-24 Stevens St
Work Type: Full-Time
Standard Hours: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day 8
Work Shift: M-F 8:00 AM-4:30 PM
Org Unit: 291
Department: Health Information Management
- Significant manual skills/motor coord & finger dexterity
- Little or no potential for occupational risk
- Very Heavy effort. May exert up to 50 lbs. force
- Generally pleasant working conditions.
EOE, including disability/vets.
We will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to the known physical or mental limitations of a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact Human Resources at 203-739-7330 (for reasonable accommodation requests only). Please provide all information requested to assure that you are considered for current or future opportunities.
Click Here To Apply