If you’re ready to be part of our legacy of hope and innovation, we encourage you to take the first step and explore our current job openings. Your best is waiting to be discovered.
Under the direction of the section supervisor or senior technical support, the Lab Assistant prepares, processes, and loads specimens onto testing platforms as required; assists in instrument maintenance; processes specimens for confirmatory testing; archiving samples after analysis; labeling and staining as required responding to inquiries from Pre-analytical Services and Technical Sections; recording equipment temperature readings; performing a variety of clerical duties and participating in pre-clinical test development, training and ad-hoc projects as directed.
The essential functions listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification. They are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
- Employees must abide by all Joint Commission Requirements including but not limited to sensitivity to cultural diversity, patient care, patients rights and ethical treatment, safety and security of physical environments, emergency management, teamwork, respect for others, participation in ongoing education and training, communication and adherence to safety and quality programs, sustaining compliance with National Patient Safety Goals, and licensure and health screenings.
- Must perform all duties and responsibilities in accordance with the Service Standards of the Hospital(s).
- Accessions patient information into Laboratory information system(s). Checks all requests for proper and accurate patient information. Consults with Supervisor or Technologist if request is problematic. Notifies physician, nursing unit, clinic, etc. if sample received is inappropriate or compromised.
- According to procedure, prepares specimens in preparation for testing and quality control as directed.
- Adheres to all Safety/Health regulatory and state/federal legal requirements and policies, operating procedures, and Services Standard of the Hospitals.
- Assists in routine and regularly scheduled preventive maintenance for all automated and semi-automated instruments according to established procedures.
- Determines suitability of specimens for analysis and if necessary performs pre-analytical processing of the specimens following established guidelines
- Inventories and orders supplies. Verifies delivery order and restocks and/or distributes supplies to the appropriate areas of the Lab.
- Maintains the logs and records for all Laboratory transactions and information in accordance with department and regulatory requirements.
- Monitors and records temperatures of incubators, heating blocks, water baths, freezers, and refrigeration units; ensures readings are within specified range; notifies supervisor of any exceptions to range limits.
- Organizes, catalogs and stores patient specimen samples.
- Participates in pre-clinical test development according to established protocols.
- Performs a variety of clerical functions such as word processing, entering information into the database, handling calls and inquires and other support functions as assigned.
- Processes specimens which have been analyzed for outside reference laboratories for additional testing.
- Receives and processes all specimens/samples following the proper laboratory procedures. Ensures patient samples are distributed to the appropriate areas of the laboratory or routed to other hospital departments as required.
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities as well as possession of any required licenses or certifications is qualifying.
Education: High School Diploma or GED equivalent
- Experience: Two (2) years of progressively responsible and directly related work experience
- License/Certification: None required
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
These are the observable and measurable attributes and skills required to perform successfully the essential functions of the job and are generally demonstrated through qualifying experience, education, or licensure/certification.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Ability to follow procedures and learn clinical support technology
- Ability to foster effective working relationships with others
- Ability to perform standard business math (ratios, percents)
- Ability to plan, organize, multi-task and adapt to priority changes
- Ability to speak, read, write, and understand English effectively at a level appropriate for the job
- Ability to use standard computers and basic office software
- Knowledge of Business English, spelling, grammar and punctuation
- Knowledge of Windows-based operating systems and applications
- Skill in aliquoting
- Skill in calculating dilutions for reagents
- Skill in pipetting
- Skill in weighing reagents
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
The Physical Requirements and Working Conditions in which the job is typically performed are available from the Occupational Health Department. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Equal Opportunity Employer Stanford Health Care (SHC) strongly values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity and non-discrimination in all of its policies and practices, including the area of employment. Accordingly, SHC does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation or gender identity and/or expression, religion, age, national or ethnic origin, political beliefs, marital status, medical condition, genetic information, veteran status, or disability, or the perception of any of the above. People of all genders, members of all racial and ethnic groups, people with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Qualified applicants with criminal convictions will be considered after an individualized assessment of the conviction and the job requirements.
Click Here To Apply