Position General Summary:
The Paramedic, under supervision of the Lead Paramedic. and/or the E.M.S. Director, is responsible for the pre-hospital ALS care of patients which are in need of care as a result of accident or illness, and is responsible for the overall direction of that patient care in the pre-hospital setting. The Paramedic delivers care based on age appropriate needs for the infant, pediatric, adolescent, adults, and geriatric patients. He/she demonstrates an interest in patient centered approach to total pre-hospital care. Demonstrates cooperation, flexibility, and resourcefulness when dealing with patients, visitors, physicians, and other healthcare providers. The Paramedic shall be responsible for assisting with planning, supervising and evaluating the pre-hospital care of patients and for correlating emergency medical care and transportation.
The position is considered an Essential position at this facility to ensure efficient operations and patient care. Employees hired into an Essential position are expected to report to work for their scheduled shifts regardless of the environmental weather and road conditions that may exist.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintains sound professional confidentiality at all times.
- Operates ambulance in a safe manner.
- Participate in Performance improvement activities.
- Utilizes the authorized emergency medical service standard of care protocols to oversee and provide age specific patient care.
- Utilizes downtime to ensure all equipment is at a constant state of readiness and reports any equipment that is out of service and in need of repair.
- Ensures all company-wide educational initiatives are current. (Advanced Learning Center)
- Ensure that every patient contact is directly reflected on a Patient Care Report. This report shall accurately reflect the contact from initial contact until delivery at the hospital. It shall document all aspects of the assessment and all treatments performed on the patient while in EMS care.
- Provides courteous Customer Service to patients, co-workers, physicians, and any other person they come in contact with during their shift.
Facility General Responsibilities:
- Attend facility new hire orientation as scheduled by HR
- Complete Department Orientation Initial Competency within 7 days of hire date
- Complete Department Initial Skills Competency within 90 days of hire date
- Follow facility and OSHA safety rules and procedures
- Respect cultural and religious practices of patients from all backgrounds
- Follow HIPAA regulations at all times
- Be punctual and dependent for assigned shifts
- Dress within the dress code requirements of the department
- Identifies all patients using at least two identifiers verbally (name and DOB).
- Follows Hospital Wide and Department Specific policies and procedures
- Must interact with physicians, guest, staff, and patients pleasantly, cooperatively, and effectively
- Attends all educational opportunities and provides a copy of their education file to the service.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Has knowledge of human growth and development.
- Displays ability to verbally interact with patients of all ages.
- Demonstrates competency and knowledge of age appropriate equipment.
- Demonstrates appropriate awareness for suspected abuse/neglect to patient and takes measures to report them according to protocol.
- Identifies and assesses need for additional safety/ support resources on scene.
- Accurately assesses patient’s needs.
- Accurately develops a plan of care on scene and continues throughout transport.
- Displays ability to discuss treatment and provide education to patient/family or significant other when necessary.
- Demonstrates the ability to transfer a patient to another facility.
- Involves family and/or guardian in the assessment, Initial treatment, and continuing care of their patient.
Position Requirements: Education, Work Experience, Licensure, Certifications;
Must possess a current TN Paramedic License from an accredited school and exhibit proficiency in pre-hospital care and oral communication skills.
No pre-hospital experience is required but is desired
License to practice as a Paramedic in the State of Tennessee. CPR Healthcare Provider through an approved institution and a valid Class D TN driver’s license with an F endorsement are required
ACLS Certification required
PALS or PEPP ALS Certification required
The position requires around the clock coverage, so working hours include days, nights, weekends, and holidays. The Paramedic spends a considerable amount of time walking, bending, stretching, standing, and assisting in patient transfers in all types of environmental conditions. Must also be willing to work outdoors in all types of weather conditions, i.e. rain, sleet, snow, storms, and so forth. Must follow proper body mechanics to guard against injury. The Paramedic must be able to work accurately around frequent distractions on scene. Paramedics may also face hazards from exposure to chemicals and infectious diseases. In addition, Paramedics treat patients that may be confused, irrational, agitated, and/or uncooperative and therefore must be able to maintain composure while dealing with these patients.
Physical Requirements / Demands:
- Ability to assist in the movement of patients by various techniques from various positions.
- Moving, lifting, or transferring of patients may involve lifting of up to fifty (50) pounds, push /pull up to 100 lbs frequently, occasionally higher amounts.
- Ability to stand and walk for extended periods.
- Ability to bend, lean, and stoop without hindrance; requires a full range of body motion
- Fine motor skills
- Visual acuity; normal range of hearing
- Working in all outdoor conditions and weather
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the minimal functions of this job. The minimal requirements for this position require an employee to be able to safely drive an ambulance in all weather conditions and over most all terrain. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, talk, and hear. The employee is frequently required to walk and reach forward with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit, stoop, kneel, or crouch. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Click Here To Apply