We are looking for a Patient Care Technician I for the Medical-Surgical Department at Mission Hospital Regional Medical Center.
Location: Laguna Beach, CA
Work Schedule: Full Time – 72 Biweekly Hours
Shift: 12-hour, Days
Under general supervision by the RN, the Patient Care Tech is responsible for providing basic nursing care for in-patients and out-patients as needed, within their specified area(s) (see below). The Patient Care Tech is responsible for collecting and reporting of information to the supervising RN and completion of all patient care related documentation. Patient Care Techs are assigned as follows: Cardiopulmonary – basic respiratory, cardiology, nursing care, Medical/Surgical/Oncology – basic respiratory, nursing care, and assists with orthopedic devices (adult, geriatric), Resource Float Pool – basic respiratory, nursing care.
- Assisted Nursing Care: Assists with activities of daily living (ADLs), hygiene, feeding, toileting and other skills related to admission, discharge, pre- and post-op care, post mortem care, skin care and patient safety. Assists with patient transfer and ambulation as requested.
- Technical: Performs 12-lead EKG according to established policies and procedures, accurately obtains patient’s vital signs. Applies and removes sequential and/or TED hose as requested by RN. Disconnects and reconnects NG and O2 tubing appropriately. Maintains aseptic technique. Empties fluid collection devices and ensures safe and accurate collection and handling of specimens. Supports the RN in obtaining accurate weights. Application and removal of restraints. Assists with basic orthopedic devices as directed by the RN. Performs additional technical duties appropriate to area of practice under the direction of the RN.
- Documentation: Accurately and in a timely manner documents in the EMR the patients’ vital signs, oximetry readings, I & O’s, percentage of food eaten, turning/positioning, HS care, oral care/personal need care and other data requiring documentation.
- Immediately notifies RN of any abnormal/unusual findings of patient conditions, problems or data.
- Prepares and maintains patient care area/rooms and ensures they are clean and orderly. Removes and stores extra equipment in a timely manner. Enters work orders for needed equipment repairs and ensures follow up. Manages patient supplies in a fiscally responsible manner. Ensures storage rooms are neat and orderly and meet regulatory environmental standards.
- Information management: Able to access Hospital e-mail, Education Learning Modules Care Net, work orders. Evidence of basic order entry skills. Demonstrates knowledge of unit goals and action plans.
- Maintains safe environment by following JCAHO safety goals. Performs proactive rounding as directed and adheres to all hospital and departmental policies, procedures and regulatory requirements. Responds promptly to all patient call lights and alarms with effective follow through and participates in all fall interventions and unit specific safety practices and goals.
- Customer Service: Answers phone calls, greets and directs all patients and visitors in a timely, friendly and courteous manner. Receives positive feedback from co-workers and patients. Supports unit goals to improve the patient experience.
- Other: Ensures patient safety for patients at risk for self harm, injury, or who have court holds through constant observation and appropriate use of behavioral competencies.
- Good Verbal and written communication skills for regular contact with employees, patients and patient’s families.
- Positive interpersonal skills.
- Basic math and computer skills.
- Good organizational skills.
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology/anatomy.
- Ability to work with others in a flexible, cooperative manner.
- Requires moderate mental application and concentration to handle varying procedures and interruptions.
- Computer skills on MS Windows based PC system.
Minimum Position Requirements:
- H.S. Diploma or GED
- Coursework/Training – For hires after 10/31/16: Completion of a CNA program, or Completion of first semester nursing program, or EMT program completion.
Experience: Experience with basic data entry.
- Current AHA Healthcare provider BLS certification.
- Hires after 10/31/16:Current CNA license, orEMT certification, orCompletion of first semester nursing program.
Preferred Position Qualifications:
Education: Coursework/Training – EKG Training.
Experience: One (1) year of acute patient care experience, or 6 months experience in a direct patient care environment
At Mission Hospital with locations in Mission Viejo and Laguna Beach, CA our core values of Compassion, Dignity, Justice, Excellence and Integrity translate into an environment where the welfare of our patients always comes before the bottom line. As a member of Providence Health System, we serve all of south Orange County.
Mission Hospital Mission Viejo is a Level II Trauma Center and is the area’s designated regional trauma center. We have Centers of Excellence in heart, maternity, trauma, breast care, spine, vascular, stroke and brain injury.
Mission Hospital Laguna Beach provides local coastal communities with 24-hour emergency department services, medical/surgical services, behavioral health programs including inpatient and outpatient psychiatric and chemical dependency services and an outpatient eating disorder program.
Mission Surgery Center performs approximately 4,500 annual surgeries and provides a safe and convenient outpatient setting. It is accredited by the Accreditation Association of Ambulatory Health Care.
We’ve received two Beacon Awards for clinical excellence and in 2012 we received Magnet Designation which recognizes hospitals for top patient care, quality nursing and innovations in nursing and healthcare. We offer a collegial work environment with competitive salaries and benefits.
Mission Hospital provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Mission Hospital complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Positions specified as “on call/per diem” refers to employment consisting of shifts scheduled on as “as needed basis” to fill in for staff vacancies.
Company: Mission Hospital Regional Medical Center
Category: Other Healthcare Support
Req ID: R330677
Click Here To Apply