JOB TITLE: Medical Assistant – Front Office
DEPARTMENT: Psychiatry and Behavioral Health
REPORTS TO: Service Line Director
The Medical Assistant must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients. The individual must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and possess the ability to assess data reflective to the patient’s status and interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient’s needs, and to provide the care needed as described in the departments policies and procedures.
Graduate from an accredited medical assistant program or equivalent experience preferred.
Previous customer service and/or medical office experience preferred.
Previous computer experience helpful.
Basic Life Support Certification is required.
Front Desk Functions:
- Registers patients accurately into the Electronic Medical Record system, obtaining and registering as pertinent required information.
- Obtains consent for service.
- Serves as receptionist, answering phone and receiving clients and visitors.
- Is always aware of patients in the waiting room and their status, keeping them informed of their status.
- Completes purchase orders, maintains inventory, and orders items from material management.
- Enters appropriate charges and diagnosis for each patient encounter into computer system.
- Makes out maintenance requests and insures items are repaired.
- Does record search for insurance companies, doctors, and completes and documents requests for information.
Medical Assistant Functions:
- Perform nursing procedures under supervision of physician or audiologist.
- Assist physician and physician assistant in exam rooms
- Escort patients to exam rooms, interviews patients, measure vital signs, including weight, blood pressure, pulse, temperature, and document all information in patient’s chart
- Give instructions to patients as instructed by provider.
- Ensure all related reports, labs and information is filed is available in patients’ medical records prior to their appointment
- Keep exam rooms stocked with adequate medical supplies, maintain instruments, prepare sterilization as required
- Take telephone messages and provide feedback and answers to patient/physician/pharmacy calls
- Triage and process messages from patients and front office staff to physicians and physician assistants
- Maintain all logs and required checks (i.e. refrigerator temperatures, emergency medications, expired medications, oxygen, cold sterilization fluid change, etc.)
- Pursues continuing education.
- Follows policies and procedures per West Park Hospital District.
- Should be able to work well under situations of stress.
- Performs lab procedures as certified.
Other Clinical Duties:
- Performs ancillary duties as required, i.e. ordering tests, running specimens to WPHD, or picking up supplies as requested.
- Assists in general hygiene of the clinic and self, keeping waiting room and all working areas clean and free of clutter.
- Assists with back office functions as trained, i.e. rooming patients, taking vital signs, and performing lab procedures as certified.
- Adheres to West Park Hospital Standards of Behavior.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Attends department meetings and in-services and disaster drills.
- Stays up to date on all changes/education affecting position.
- Keeps current with CPR certification.
Job Type: Full-time
Click Here To Apply