Job Title: Front Desk Rep/Traveler
Department: Front Desk/Nursing
Report To: Patient Access Manager
Perform customer relations duties with the public, check patient in, ask for and facilitate the receipt of patient payments, maintain patient files, and travel to outlying clinics when needed to assist the physician and nursing staff.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure opening procedures are followed daily; including turning on lights and computers, prepare clinic per physician’s preference.
Answer Telephone/Greet Patients
- Answer telephone and greet patients/visitors in a timely manner that is helpful and friendly; determine purpose of visit and direct patients and visitors to appropriate person or department.
- Correctly schedule patient appointments in the practice management system using current scheduling requirements placed by the physicians.
- Carefully screen all patients for complete patient information and correctly enter into the practice management system including correct spelling of name, date of birth, address, telephone numbers, insurance information, body part, referring physician, x-ray location, and identify correct patient type.
Patient Check In/Out
- Check patients in and out via EMR and/or practice management system.
- Enter data into computer for retrieval and reporting.
- Assist patients with forms and update patient information correctly into practice management system.
- Compile information to be placed in the patient’s chart, including: verifying New Patient/Old Patient paperwork is accurate and complete, witnessing consents, explaining and witnessing acknowledgements, taking patient’s photo when needed, and verifying History and Physical is complete and signed.
Workers’ Compensation/Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Obtain correct information, ensure appropriate forms are completed.
- Assist patients as needed with walking, transfers, dressing, and preparing for exam.
Assist Nursing Staff
- Obtain required information as directed by nursing staff; patient’s height, weight, blood pressure, and other needed medical information.
- Route orders to appropriate location/facility, and assist with medical records requests.
- Enter and tally correct charges on all encounter forms.
- Collect deductibles, co-payments, and charges, and give receipts to the patients.
- Ensure closing procedures are followed daily; including cleaning exam rooms, restocking supplies, closing windows, turning off lights, locking doors, tallying daily receipt logs, and batching credit card machines (if available).
- Travel to outlying clinics when needed to assist the physician and nursing staff.
- Perform other duties as directed/required to ensure efficient operation of the department.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with physicians, co-workers, and the public.
- Acts as mentor for new employees.
- Accepts responsibility for own professional growth and personal conduct.
Flexibility & Stressful Situations
- Ability to be flexible, organized, and function under stressful situations.
- Respond with flexibility to changing work load and/or patient assignments.
Adherence to Facility/Departmental Policy:
Confidentiality/Right to Privacy
- Observe confidentiality of information in regards to patients, physicians, and fellow employees.
- Protect patient sensitivities and right to privacy.
- Maintain a good attendance record and arrive to work punctually.
- Follow dress code, including wearing identification and communicate name and role to patients.
Cell Phone Use
- Cell phone may be used for business purposes only.
- Utilize cell phone for personal, use only during breaks or meal periods and out of the public eye.
- Participate in Premier Bone & Joint Centers and departmental in-services and staff meetings.
Safety & Infection Control Policies
- Adhere to safety and infection control policies.
Care of Environment, Equipment, and Supplies:
- Utilize correct/safe technique when using equipment.
- Notify manager of malfunctioning equipment. Perform minor equipment repairs not requiring a service call.
- Aid with collaboration of inventory list for outlying clinics keeping quantities at a reasonable level, ensuring adequate stock for next clinic.
Clean, Neat, Safe Environment
- Maintain a clean, neat, and safe environment for patients and staff, including personal work areas.
- High School Diploma or Equivalent – Required
Certification & Licensures:
- BLS Health Care Provider (CPR) – Preferred
- Previous experience in customer relations of related field – Preferred
- Seeing – Must be able to read reports, patient charts, and to use a computer – Constant
- Hearing – Must be able to hear well enough to communicate with patients and co-workers – Constant
- Speaking – Must be able to verbally communicate with patients and co-workers – Constant
- Fingering/Grasping – Must be able to write and type, as well as grasp a telephone – Constant
- Standing – Frequently
- Sitting – Frequently
- Weight Demands:
- Lifting – Must be able to lift up to 25 pounds – Frequently
- The fast paced environment may lead to increased levels of personal stress and demand high mental acuity.
- Physical harm is possible when performing physical requirements, as listed above.
- Exposure to communicable disease, bodily fluids, and/or toxic substances is possible and can be physically harmful.
Unique Work Schedule/Travel
- May be required to work after hours, on weekends, or holidays.
Employee Statement of Understanding:
I have read and understand the job description for my position. I am able to perform all of the essential functions of this position.
I agree to comply with the corporate compliance policy and all laws, rules, regulations and standards of conduct related to my position. As an employee, I understand my duty to report any suspected violations of the law or the standards of conduct to my immediate supervisor.
As an employee, I will strive to uphold the mission and vision of the organization. All employees are required to adhere to the values in all their interactions with patients, customers, and fellow employees.
Note: This description is intended to describe the general job duties and employment requirements for adequate job performance, and should not be interpreted as an exhaustive report. Additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned at the discretion of the employees’ supervisor.
Click Here To Apply