The Senior Director of Nursing, Nursing Excellence & Resource Management, is responsible for clinical nursing practice, education, quality, compliance, budget and resource management, strategic planning and translating evidence into the creation of the highest quality and safest care environment.
BSN required, Master’s Degree required, Doctoral degree in Health Services Administration or Nursing Leadership preferred. Broad knowledge of nursing practice, education, regulatory compliance, quality, nursing operations, budget and resource management and strategic planning, derived from progressive nursing leadership experience.
5 years Nursing Director (or equivalent) or above experience.
Current Maryland Registered Nursing license, or valid temporary RN permit in the State of Maryland. Current CPR. Certification by a recognized accreditation board for specialty nursing certification, such as NEA-BC, within 12 months of hire.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Ability to comprehend and follow the MedStar Health entity specific Employee Handbook. Ability to comprehend and follow the policies and procedures for specific MedStar Health entity. Ability to read, write and speak or communicate in English to successfully accomplish the essential duties of the position. Ability to demonstrate ethical behavior that supports the hospital’s mission, values and commitment to compliance with all federal, state and regulatory laws. Inspires trust and exhibits honesty and integrity within the scope of daily activities. Exhibits professionalism, courtesy and excellent customer service, while interacting with patients, guests and co-workers. Ability to work effectively with people from a variety of culturally diverse backgrounds. Ability to maintain patient confidentiality. Knowledge and ability to provide leadership and guidance to other leaders and staff in goal setting, problem solving, resource management, and outcome achievement.
Demonstrates a commitment to a healthy work environment by modeling the desired behaviors and encouraging those in others. Demonstrates the ability to cope with and manage change, as well as help others to do the same. Demonstrates fiscal accountability for department resources and the ability to achieve outcomes within allocated resources. Demonstrates a clear understanding of regulations applicable to patient care and other department functions. Demonstrates a commitment to a healthy work environment by modeling the desired behaviors and encouraging those in others.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Participates in formulating, implementing and interpreting the philosophy, objectives, standard of practice, policy and procedures for the Division of Nursing. Creates and supports the standards of practices that are reflected in the care delivered by associates in the Division of Nursing. Ensures safe quality nursing care is rendered to all patients in accordance with the Maryland Nurse Practice Act and current evidence. Defines, updates and educates hospital and departmental policies and procedures to Division of Nursing.
- Contributes towards hospital-wide work focused on Patient Experience and Nursing Excellence. Supports unit-based leaders understanding and focused work on patient experience. Leads Nursing Practice, Education, Informatics and resource management colleagues, supporting Division of Nursing operations. Provides leadership and support for achievement and/or maintaining Magnet or Pathway to Excellence (PTE) Programs.
- Develops and contributes to the achievement of established department goals and objectives and adheres to department policies, procedures, quality standards and safety standards. Ensures compliance with hospital/facility policies and procedures and governmental/accreditation regulations.
- Functions as oversight for resource utilization and capacity management. Directs resource activities assuring adequate and efficient utilization of resources (human, material, and finance. Implements strategies to ensure maximum productivity in the utilization of staff and beds.
- Evaluates and makes recommendations for cost effective staffing of multiple nursing cost-centers. Manages analytics for staffing patterns and labor costs with unit-based nursing leaders, to support patients and physician needs. Recruits and interviews potential members for the nursing leadership team.
- Acts as a liaison to hospital administration and works directly with members of Medical Staff to prevent problems and make improvements concerning patient care within nursing units. Maintains open communication between the Department of Nursing Services and the Medical Staff.
- Structures environment that responds to associate needs to maintain staff satisfaction, associate engagement and positive morale. Plays primary leadership role in Division of Nursing annual strategic planning process. Embraces and models a Culture a Safety.
- Supports nursing leadership team in developing objectives, planned change in policy and procedure, and standards to promote their professional growth. Assists in the development of and leads implementation of strategies for individual growth. Is readily available as a resource person.
- Maintains an up-to-date body of knowledge on legal positions, approaches and trends in health care to promote professional growth. Attends relevant education programs. Member of professional organizations to stay current in nursing trends.
- Serves as a consultant and role model for nursing leadership team. Projects a professional and positive image of the hospital. Is available to respond to questions in a timely manner.
- Displays adaptability and self-confidence. Exhibits flexibility and strong communication skills. Demonstrates strong project management skills. Demonstrates controlled emotions in stress situations. Demonstrates critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Collaborates with other departments to create systems and problem solve ongoing issues that impact departmental/hospital goals and patient care delivery, as well as optimizes and enhances patient outcomes.
- Incorporates quality improvement and patient experience data into departmental goals.
- Follows progressive disciplinary action process, or supports Division of Nursing in doing so, in order to maintain productivity and performance standards.
- Coaches and develops nursing leadership team, providing feedback and constructs critique of work, facilitates the development of their problem-solving and decision-making skills, and documents their job performance.
- Attends all required safety training programs and can describe his/her responsibilities related to general safety, department safety, and specific job-related hazards.
- Participates in multidisciplinary quality and service improvement teams and maintains effective working relationships with other departments.
- Participates in meetings and on committees and represents the department and business unit in community outreach efforts.
- Performs other duties as required to ensure quality patient care.
About MedStar Health
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
Click Here To Apply