Description and Functions
Open Until Filled
This position is assigned to the Kitchen of Wyoming Medium Correctional institution, the central intake and assessment center for male inmates for the State of Wyoming. The Food Service Specialist will assist the Food Services Manager with supervision, direction, and training of inmate food services workers to prepare, serve and store food according to institutional and USDA Food Standards.
Human Resource Contact: [email protected] 307-532-6611
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The listed functions are illustrative only and are not intended to describe every function which may be performed at the job level.
- With the Food Services Assistant’s assistance, directs, coordinates, prepares, and supervises food preparation for meals within guidelines of the menu, dietary requirements, and the standards of appearance, taste, temperature, and sanitation.
- Trains workers in safety and sanitation.
- Prepares all religious and medically necessary diets and substitutions as needed.
- Directs the portioning and serving of all meals.
- Oversees distribution of bulk food and pre-plated meals.
- Ensures that health guidelines are met in the daily preparation of food.
- Manages inventory and review on a daily basis on all items.
- Completes daily inventories of knives, controlled food items, and tools.
- Observes and records food, refrigerator, and freezer temperatures.
Preference may be given to those applicants with three (3) or more years of experience in the food services industry.
- Knowledge of food safety practices; handling, temperature control.
- Knowledge of basic employee supervision methods.
- Knowledge of meal preparation and quantity/quality controls
- Knowledge of procurement, receiving, and storage methods.
Associate’s Degree (typically in Culinary Arts)
0-1 year of progressive work experience (typically in Food Services) with acquired knowledge at the level of a Food Services Assistant
Education & Experience Substitution:
2-4 years of progressive work experience (typically in Food Services) with acquired knowledge at the level of a Food Services Assistant
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
Necessary Special Requirements
PHYSICAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Applicants must have the physical ability to lift at least 50 lbs.
- Applicants must be able to remain on their feet for long periods of time.
- FLSA: Non-exempt
- The Wyoming Department of Corrections is a Drug-Free Workplace. Per WDOC policy, all staff is subject to drug testing while employed by WDOC. Successful applicants for employment must pass a background/reference check, medical evaluation, and urinalysis drug test prior to appointment.
- WDOC is a Tobacco-Free workplace and prohibits the taking, carrying, possessing, or introducing of smoking materials, smokeless tobacco, or tobacco substitutes on or into WDOC facilities and grounds.
- WDOC has a strict dress code policy to include standards for facial hair, body art, and piercings/gauges. All applicants must meet the standards of this dress code to be considered for employment.
- WDOC offers a competitive benefits package including: medical, dental, and life insurance, paid vacations and sick leave, paid holidays, tuition reimbursement program, Wyoming State Retirement and 457 deferred compensation program, longevity pay, and opportunities for advancement. Please visit our website at http://doc.state.wy.us/
080-Department of Corrections – Prisons – Wyoming Medium Correctional Institution
Click here to view the State of Wyoming Classification and Pay Structure.
The State of Wyoming is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively supports the ADA and reasonably accommodates qualified applicants with disabilities.
Class Specifications are subject to change, please refer to the A & I HRD Website to ensure that you have the most recent version.
Click Here To Apply