THIS JOB REQUIRES JOINING THE ARMY OR ARMY RESERVE.
MUST BE 17-35 YEARS OLD, AND HAVE VALID US CITIZENSHIP/GREENCARD
Cargo specialists help ensure Army forces receive supplies, weapons, equipment and mail — on a daily basis, all over the world. They are primarily responsible for transferring or supervising the transfer of passengers, cargo and equipment to and from air, land and water transport by manual and mechanical methods.
- Inspect, count and document cargo utilizing both manual and automated data processing systems
- Load and unload supplies and equipment from ships, docks, beaches, railheads, boxcars, warehouses, motor vehicles and aircraft
- Operate and maintain all types and sizes of winches, cranes and forklifts
- Create load plans for air shipment and ocean liner vessels
- Operate ocean liner vessel equipment
Those who want to serve must first take the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery, a series of tests that helps you better understand your strengths and identify which Army jobs are best for you.
Job training for a cargo specialist requires 10 weeks of Basic Combat Training and eight weeks of Advanced Individual Training with on-the-job instructions. Part of this time is spent in the classroom and part in the field.
Some of the skills you’ll learn are:
- Operation and care of forklifts, power winches, container handlers and cranes
- Techniques for loading and storing cargo
- Techniques for planning and scheduling cargo shipments
- Safety procedures for handling potentially dangerous cargo
- Experience operating heavy equipment such as container handlers, forklifts and cranes
- Interest in working around airport, railways, seaports and ocean beach terminals
- Enjoy physical work
- Interest in business mathematics
Required ASVAB Score(s)
General Maintenance (GM): 88
Learn more about the ASVAB and see what jobs you could qualify for.
Total compensation includes housing, medical, food, special pay, and vacation time. Learn more about total compensation.
Earn Cash For In Demand Jobs
You could earn up to $40,000 in cash bonuses just for enlisting under certain Military Occupational Specialties. Visit Jobs in Demand to see if this job qualifies for an enlistment bonus.
In the Army, qualified students can earn full-tuition, merit-based scholarships, allowances for books and fees, plus an annual stipend for living expenses. Learn more about education benefits.
Future Civilian Careers
The skills you learn will help prepare you for a career with trucking firms, air cargo companies and shipping lines. You’ll be able to consider a future as an industrial truck operator, a stevedore, a longshoreman, a material handler or a cargo checker.
PARTNERSHIP FOR YOUTH SUCCESS (PaYS) Program
Those interested in this job may be eligible for civilian employment, after the Army, by enrolling in the Army PaYS program. The PaYS program is a recruitment option that guarantees a job interview with military friendly employers that are looking for experienced and trained Veterans to join their organization. Find out more about the Army PaYS Program at http://www.armypays.com.
- Rush Enterprises
- Ruan Transportation Mgt. Sys. Inc.
- D. M. Bowman, Inc.
- Liquid Transport Corp
- Transport Corporation of America, Inc.
- Sentinel Transportation, LLC
- Nationwide Truck Brokers, Inc.
- J. B. Hunt Transportation, Inc.
- Total Quality Logistics, LLC
- TMC Transportation, Inc.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time
Pay: From $2,012.00 per month
- High school or equivalent (Required)
Click Here To Apply