Work with the zoological staff to proactively treat and care for Six Flags Discovery Kingdom collection of marine and land mammals, exotic birds, fish, reptiles and sharks.
Essential Job Duties:
- Cleaning and maintaining a professional appearance of Vet Clinic and Nursery and surrounding outdoor areas, including sweeping, mopping, emptying trash, sanitization and disinfecting of animal enclosures, wash indoor and public windows.
- Feed and prepare diets for animals and ensure all animals have appropriate water. Maintain appropriate temperatures for animal enclosures. Administer and calculate oral, IM SQ, or IV medications as required.
- Provides immediate medical attention to diseased or traumatized animals. Conduct and track preventative health programs such as blood draws, scheduled vaccinations, urine and fecal collections, etc. Assist in scheduling of anesthesia or surgical procedures.
- Prepare animals for surgery or treatments by anesthetizing, shaving and disinfecting as needed, catheter placement if required, and vital sign monitoring during procedures. Fill in anesthesia logs and maintain surgery logs.
- Perform radiographs using stationary and portable x-ray units in a safe manner. Determine proper settings and techniques for various species, maintain records of setting, and label all films appropriately.
- Cleaning and sterilizing surgical instruments and ensuring other hospital equipment are in proper working order.
- Administrative duties include answering phones, scheduling rounds or treatments, assist with scheduling appointments for veterinarians, filling prescriptions as requested, maintain drug cabinets and supplies, responding to immediate health issues, and assist with concerns from Animal Care Specialists.
- Assist with conducting postmortem studies and analyses.
- Participates in executing of nutrition and reproduction programs for animal collection.
- Conduct regularly scheduled veterinary rounds and preventive care programs to maintain health of animals and guard against communicable diseases. Conduct lab analysis as needed.
- Operate emergency medical equipment including blowpipes and air rifles, monitoring equipment, etc.
- Take animals home for overnight care if needed.
- Performs other miscellaneous duties as required.
- Minimum 2 years experience as a veterinary technician, license preferred.
- Availability to work weekends, evenings, and holidays required.
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications.
- Duties and tasks may involve standing, walking, bending, and lifting up to 50lbs. Position is regularly exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and outside weather conditions. Must be able to swim.
- Valid driver license with clear driving record.
- Must be able to perform minimum in house laboratory procedures such as manual CBC’s, fecals, urinalysis and microbiology. Ability to analyze bird and reptile blood desired. Excellent diagnostic skills and ability to read and interpret clinical laboratory results. Must be able to perform venipuncture on a variety of animals.
- Proficiency in utilizing ultrasound, radiography, flexible and rigid endoscope equipment.
- Proficiency in anesthesia for a variety of species.
- Knowledge of animal restraint techniques required.
- Must have the ability to easily communicate veterinary needs to a diversified staff. Must be able to participate and succeed in a team-oriented environment.
Safety Sensitive Position
Click Here To Apply