Job Title: Manager, IHC
The IHC Manager is responsible for overseeing the daily operations of a team of Histotechnologists for a growing molecular profiling laboratory. This position is responsible for ensuring the laboratory is performing at the level it should be, meeting all goals, and the quality of results being reported are at the appropriate level meeting all necessary Quality Control (QC) guidelines. They ensure the highest quality of testing, oversee the maintenance of all department documentation, troubleshoot any problems with the clinical assays and work with their team to resolve any professional conflicts. They work with upper management to ensure all policies and procedures are carried out, and that their unit meets all necessary regulatory guidelines.
- Provides oversight for IHC staining, ISH staining, grossing, tissue processing, embedding, equipment maintenance, stain and equipment troubleshooting, and special staining. Oversee development of SOPs, training of staff, and implementation of lab procedures to manage operations and ensure consistent adherence to required regulatory guidelines to ensure highest quality and consistency of services.
- Maintains established performance and production standards.
- Monitors the performance of the clinical assays and troubleshoots as necessary.
- Ensure documentation of all corrective action taken when a test system deviates from the laboratory’s established performance specifications.
- Oversee development of SOPs, training of staff, and implementation of lab procedures to manage operations and ensure consistent adherence to required regulatory guidelines to ensure highest quality and consistency of services.
- Assist Management with budgetary development, including forecasting, test costing, and capital requirements
- Maintains quality control standards within CAP, CLIA and New York State guidelines.
- Performs personnel performance reviews and coaching.
- Develop procedures, train supervisors, and ensure appropriate implementation of activities that lead to consistent employee growth and development.
- Ensure clear communication of consistent goals and expectations to the team, and hold supervisors accountable for results.
- Accepts other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge, Skills, and Experience
a. Strong background in IHC with advanced skills in troubleshooting IHC assays and other issues that arise in an IHC laboratory.
b. Demonstrated skills in technical data interpretation and ability to troubleshoot.
c. Ability to perform routine histology including specimen processing, embedding, microtomy, staining, and immunohistochemistry.
d. Excellent team leadership capability, including ability to assess strengths and weaknesses of team members, utilize appropriate leadership style to maximize team performance, and manage performance for results.
e. Ability to direct others as well as take direction from others.
f. Can demonstrate strong cross-functional communication skills and the ability to build strong working relationships with peers across departments to align on common objectives, develop implementation plans, and ensure alignment among cross-functional groups.
g. Detail oriented, maintain a high level of person accountability, and have sound problem solving skills.
h. Ability to thrive in a team and service oriented environment and must maintain a professional demeanor in interactions with physicians and lab personnel.
i. Demonstrated ability to take and follow direction and to know who the resources are for their direction.
j. Understanding of the equipment used daily; including, but not limited to, microtomes, IHC autostainers, cover slippers, slide labelers.
k. Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Word, Excel, Outlook, and general working knowledge of Internet for business use.
l. Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-past, high-volume, high-stress deadline driven environment.
m. Drive for Results (Service, Quality, and Continuous Improvement) – Ensure procedures and processes are in place that lead to delivery of quality results and continually reassess their effectiveness to achieve continuous improvement.
n. Communication – Proficient verbal and written communication skills. Willingness to share and receive information and ideas from all levels of the organization in order to achieve the desired results.
o. Teamwork – Commitment to the successful achievement of team and organizational goals through a desire to participate with and help other members of the team.
p. Customer Service Focus – Demonstrate a focus on listening to and understanding client/customer needs and then delighting the client/customer by exceeding service and quality expectations.
Education, Certification/Licensure, and/or Experience
a. Bachelors or Master’s degree in a science field and CLS or CT and QIHC (ASCP) certification preferred and 6+ years’ experience with 3+ supervisory experience and 2+ years in a managerial capacity. Knowledgeable in IHC.
a. Will work at a computer some of the time as well as need to keep inventory and ordering records requiring the use of copiers, fax machines, and PDF scanners.
b. Visual acuity and analytical skill to distinguish fine detail.
c. Manual dexterity to use common laboratory equipment and perform sterile techniques as required.
d. Must possess ability to sit and/or stand for long periods of time.
e. Must possess ability to perform repetitive motion.
f. Ability to lift up to 30 pounds.
g. The ability to handle and transport hazardous waste material.
h. May be required to transport (from satellite locations) and dumping as much as five gallons of hazardous waste at a time into 30 gallon HAZMAT waste drums using safe procedures and PPE.
i. May be exposed to hazardous waste including stain waste (i.e., hematoxylin, eosin, etc.) aromatic hydrocarbons (xylene), and other combustible organics (i.e., ethyl alcohol and isopropanol).
j. May be required to handle blood-borne pathogens and general laboratory reagents.
a. Willingness to work shift work and overtime is required.
b. Travel Required (Highlight One): Rarely Occasionally Frequently
c. Weekends/Evenings/Holidays (Highlight One): No Yes, please explain
All laboratory personnel will be required to maintain schedule flexibility and when problems arise, may be required to work overtime.
- All job specific, safety, and compliance training are assigned based on the job functions associated with this position
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Referral program
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Differential pay
- Bachelor’s (Preferred)
- Clinical Laboratory Experience: 6 years (Preferred)
- Management: 3 years (Preferred)
- ASCP HT, HTL, QIHC Certification (Preferred)
- One location
- Only full-time employees eligible
Click Here To Apply