- This position provides direct care to patients who may range in age from infancy to the elderly and demonstrates safe practice within the scope of clinical judgement and decision-making, nurse-patient/family relationship, and clinical leadership. The OR Staff Nurse demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide individualized care based on physical, psychosocial, cultural, educational, safety, and age appropriate considerations of assigned patients, while complying with all regulatory standards and hospital policies and best practices.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Adheres to strict Universal Precautions and Blood-borne Pathogens protocols.
- Supports anesthesia, maintains patent patient airways, including adult and pediatric patients.
- Assess the learning needs of patients/significant other(s), and has knowledge of normal growth and development stages.
- Maintains the proficiency of the surgeons’ needs, techniques, and requirements at all times in the scrub or circulating role.
- Cares for specimens and cultures as directed by set policies.
- Possesses knowledge of anesthetic agents, techniques, actions and interactions to include patients of all ages.
- Administers drugs and responds to drug-related complications in a timely and safe manner.
- Retains sound nursing judgement in determining appropriate nursing actions and exhibits composure in emergency situation.
- Strives to remain proficient in all aspects of employment by promoting and participating in educations opportunities.
- Successfully completes BLS course and maintains certification every two years.
- Participates in emergency drills in accordance with designated clinical area.
- Identifies the need to evaluate and revise nursing policies and procedures as they affect patient care.
- Makes independent clinical decisions regarding patients need for nursing care and communicates it to appropriate personnel.
- Integrates cost-effective measures into nursing care.
- Regularly attends staff meetings and in-services.
- Satisfactorily completes basic assignments within given time frame and with minimal supervision.
- Consistently exhibits accurate and timely documentation.
- Utilizes good nursing judgement in organizing and establishing patient care priorities, working within time constraints that may occur so as to keep the operative schedule flowing smoothly.
- Consistently exhibit accurate and timely documentation.
- Provides care as outlined by the physician orders, nursing judgement, and patient status assessment, including accurate and prompt reporting of significant changes to supervisor and physician/surgeon.
- Applies effective interviewing skills to elicit and present information to patient and/or significant other that are necessary to plan, implement and evaluate nursing care.
- Interacts effectively with other health care team members to keep them informed of changes in the condition of the patient.
- Formulates and maintains effective working relationships with peers, managers and other members of the health care team.
- Receives constructive feedback in a positive self-develop-mental manner.
- Functions as an effective team member.
- Demonstrates adaptability, flexibility, and accountability when changes are made in job description and responsibilities, including performing all qualified duties throughout other areas of the Hospital.
- Strives to maintain the confidentiality of all patients and their families/significant other(s).
- Bachelor’s Degree of Nursing or equivalent preferred.
- Active PA State Nursing License required.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) Certification required.
- Three (3) years of clinical experience is preferred; one year is required.
Click Here To Apply