- Initiate purchase orders for requisitioned supplies by identifying potential cost-saving areas and soliciting bids accordingly.
- Review and select incoming bids for the best price, availability of stock, length of price negotiation, vendor service and reputation.
- Negotiate prime supplier contracts with major suppliers and distributors.
- Support and participate in group purchasing and shared services and document any variances in purchasing practices.
- Initiate discussions with the management team members and outside vendors of choice to ensure that value, quality, product specifications and cost-containment goals of the Hospital are met.
- Work towards the education and counseling of hospital staff regarding purchasing practices, price trends and hospital cost-containment goals.
- Maintain proper and appropriate professional and ethical relationships with all vendor representatives; conduct business affairs according to the principles and guidelines of the prudent buyer philosophy.
- Assure accuracy of data and maintain operation of purchasing computer systems which includes purchase orders and inventory levels.
- Provide accurate and timely issue information to the CFO.
- Remain current on significant developments concerning goods and services purchased; review advertising literature, trade journals and other sources of products and service information.
- Interview, hire, schedule, train and evaluate subordinates and discipline as necessary.
- Create and implement hospital purchasing policies and procedures.
- Reconcile invoices with Accounts Payable when price and other items do not agree with the purchase order.
- Negotiate vendor rejections and advise vendors of reasons for rejections and cost incurred as a result of defective material.
- Strive to develop and implement strategies to enhance distribution, minimize cost of medical and non-medical supplies utilization, and reduce inventory investment while ensuring availability of quality supplies and equipment and avoidance of shortages.
- Make positive suggestions to other departments regarding new, improved and substitute items or possible improvements in the design or specification of equipment.
- Expedite and follow up on orders placed on a regularly scheduled basis to ensure arrival of the products on a timely basis.
- Ensure supply carts are filled in accordance with established policies.
- Follow authorization for supply expenditures without variations.
- Comply with established Safety and Patient Safety Program practices.
- Participate in the Hazardous Material Program. Hazards include exposure to blood and body fluids, possible communicable diseases, sharp objects and instruments, assorted chemicals and gasses as listed in the Hazardous Materials Program Manual.
- Comply with measures for preventing exposure to blood borne pathogens.
- Adhere to all components of the Hospital compliance Plan in performing job duties and report any violations or suspected violations of the Plan to the Compliance Officer.
- Adhere to hospital attendance policy as outlined in the Employee Handbook.
- Develop an understanding of responsibilities for recognizing abuse and follow policy for making appropriate referrals/interventions.
- Develop an understanding of responsibilities for participation in Performance Improvement activities and participate in such activities.
- Perform other incidental and related duties, as required and/or assigned.
- Limit access to protected health information (PHI) to the information reasonably necessary to do the job and share such information only on a need to know basis for work purposes.
- Accountable for managing all aspects of respective department to include but not limited to:
- With respect to each department:
- Departmental Goal(s) – Establishes clear goals and communicates expectations with team and supervisor. Reviews goals with team and supervisor at least quarterly and makes good decisions to adjust course based on experience and judgement. Ensure goals are being monitored and met.
- Departmental Budget(s) – Develop, review and administer department budget. Ensures all revenues and expenses are accurately recorded in the month incurred. Compares actual performance to budget each month and addresses any budget shortfalls with Supervisor and CFO.
- P&P: Annually and as needed review P&Ps for continual improvement.
- Mission and Vison: Ensure the Mission and Vision is reflected in goals and communications to team. Embrace the ESOP culture and assist in educating and communication all ESOP initiatives.
- High Reliability Operation (HRO)
- Prioritizes safety by enforcing and adhering to standardized and evidence based policies, procedures, protocols, and other resources made available by the organization.
- Escalates questions or safety concerns to executive leadership / service center in real time so that operational adjustments can be made as needed to ensure patient safety.
- Supports a culture of safety by enforcing and adhering to Patient Safety Plan and reporting unsafe conditions, “near misses,” and errors. Understands that failure to report a known safety hazard or incident is considered reckless behavior.
- Leads audits and rounding activities. Solicits feedback from staff to ensure that potential problems are anticipated, detected early, and responded to promptly with corrective action. Follows concerns through to resolution. Escalates to executive leadership / service center if resources needed for corrective action / resolution exceeds those available.
- Educates employees regarding expectations of high reliability and holds employees accountable to HRO culture with counseling, coaching, and disciplinary action.
- Participates and lends expertise in required committee meetings, root cause analyses [RCA], and healthcare failure mode and effects analyses [HFMEA].
- Participates in the timely maintenance of policies, procedures, protocols and forms as assigned.
(Access to verbal, written and electronic PHI for this job has been determined based on job level and job responsibility within the organization. Computerized access to PHI for this job has been determined as described above and is controlled via user ID and password.)
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
Reasonable accommodation may be provided to a qualified individual with a disability who can perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
MANDATORY QUALIFICATIONS (SKILLS, EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION)
- High School Diploma or GED
- Minimum three (3) years hospital purchasing experience
- Minimum two (2) years supervisory experience
- Computer literate
- Strong mathematical skills
- Good communication skills
- Ability to work in a high-stress environment
Ability to speak, read and write English
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Materials Management staff
Click Here To Apply