At Encompass Community Services we provide our community with a wide range of services related to family & social well-being, early childhood education, behavioral health, housing and more. Every day through these services we work to make health, education and housing more equitable for all people in Santa Cruz County. For more than 40 years our work has touched generations by helping people have access to education, rebuild relationships, restore their health and regain dignity.
Tyler House is hiring for a temporary, full-time counselor and an overnight counselor to support youth who are working toward returning to a family-based, permanent home. Tyler House is a small, residential program that creates a stable, therapeutic environment for boys and girls struggling with trauma and resulting social, emotional, and behavior challenges. The Encompass Medical Team supports Tyler House to maintain rigorous protocols during the COVID shelter-in-place, including mandatory testing during the intake process and professional N95 mask fittings. The census is reduced during the COVID outbreak to ensure each child has their own room.
The Temporary Counselor is a position available while staff are on leave; it is possible this position will become permanent. We are also hiring for an overnight position. Tyler House counselors are responsible for maintaining the safety and wellbeing of the clients through supervision, case management, skills-building, outings (special protocols during shelter-in-place), appointments, meal preparation, education support, and other activities.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Supervise clients ages 12-17
- Provide skill-building support in 1:1 meetings and potentially in groups
- Facilitate recreational and team building experiences for clients
- Provide crisis management (ProACT training provided; no use of physical discipline or restraints)
- Transport clients to doctor appointments and other activities (special protocols during shelter-in-place)
- Support with schoolwork, including “distance learning”
- Assist and guide clients with daily chores
- Attend weekly staff meetings and assigned trainings
- HS diploma or GED plus 2 years or experience or BA/BS in behavioral science
- Bilingual in English and Spanish preferred
- CA driver license and clean DMV record
- Must pass fingerprint clearance, TB test, prehire health screen, and receive a flu shoot.
Wages & Benefits:
Our total compensation package includes a comprehensive medical and dental insurance plan for full time employees, 403(b) retirement plan, paid holiday, sick time, and 17 days of paid vacation, pro-rated for positions less than 40 hours a week.
We are an equal opportunity employer. At Encompass we value the diversity of individuals, ideas, perspectives, insights and values, and what they bring to the workplace. Applications are welcome from all qualified candidates.
Encompass Community Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. We are committed to excellence through diversity and strive to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all clients and employees.
If you require assistance applying on-line, we have computer terminals available at our 380 Encinal Street Suite 200 office in Santa Cruz, Tel: 831-469-1700, and at our 225 Westridge Drive location in Watsonville, Tel: 831-724-3885. Please call ahead to schedule an appointment.
Click Here To Apply