Department: Central Supply (Sterile Processing)
Status: Full Time
Bayfront Health St. Petersburg is a 480-bed tertiary care center equipped to provide comprehensive medical and surgical care. The hospital offers many areas of expertise, including surgery and trauma, neuroscience, cardiology, acute rehabilitation and obstetrics. The hospital has a 38-bed neurosciences unit with a dedicated neurology team consisting of board-certified neuroscience specialists and physicians with subspecialty expertise in stroke, epilepsy and Parkinson’s disease, and includes a Level IV Epilepsy Center. In partnership with Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital, Bayfront Health St. Petersburg Baby Place offers full obstetrical services and is a Level III Regional Perinatal Intensive Care Center, one of only 12 in Florida. The hospital also is home to the Bayfront Health St. Petersburg Cardiac Cath Lab, located in the James Heart Center, which offers a full range of cardiovascular care and an on-site inpatient rehabilitation unit, as well as the nearby Bayfront Health St. Petersburg Wound Care & Hyperbaric Center.
The Sterile Processing Technician demonstrates, through clinical practice, knowledge and a clear understanding of the entire sterilization process, from cleaning and decontamination through packaging, sterilization and distribution.
High school graduate or equivalent.
Within first year of employment:
- Completion status in the Orlando Health SPD Core Course; or
Nationally certified through:
- International Association of Healthcare Central Service Material Management (IAHCSMM); or
- The Certification Board for Sterile Processing and Distribution (CBSPD).
- Maintain 12 continuing education points per year.
One (1) year of experience in sterile processing.
- Has high professional and ethical standards that are employed in making critical decisions in every aspect of the sterilization process.
- Uses knowledge of microbiology and infection control in determining the best method of processing ever changing, highly technical patient care instrumentation and equipment.
- Has advanced knowledge of the function of surgical instrumentation during the course of patient care in the operating room suite in at least one surgical specialty.
- Proficient in the decontamination of surgical instrumentation as well as a wide variety of patient equipment.
- Responsible for the sterilization of all instrumentation, equipment and supplies that are requested from customer departments.
- Responsible for daily record keeping and chemical, mechanical, & biological monitoring relative to sterilization processes.
- Participates in the preceptor-ship and orientation of new team members.
- Consults with and works directly with the SPD Supervisor, and/or the SPD Operations Specialist, regarding unit activities.
- Works as the patient’s advocate regarding the most correct and safest form of sterilization for all patient use instrumentation and equipment.
- Assures that through specific infection control procedures a safe environment is maintained.
- Maintains reasonably regular, punctual attendance consistent with Orlando Health policies, the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state and local standards.
- Maintains compliance with all Orlando Health policies and procedures.
Other Related Functions
- Participates in all unit quality control activities. He or she must demonstrate an understanding of the relationship of their role to patient care.
- Responsible for helping to maintain a safe environment for fellow team members as well as patients.
- Completes special projects, without supervision, as assigned by departmental leadership.
ADDRESS: 701 6th Street South St. Petersburg FL 33701
ABOUT ORLANDO HEALTH
Orlando Health is one of Florida’s most comprehensive private, not-for-profit healthcare networks, and is based in Orlando, FL. Our facilities, advanced medical treatments and procedures, and highly qualified staff have distinguished Orlando Health as a healthcare leader for nearly two million Central Florida residents and 10,000 international visitors annually. Click here to learn more about Orlando Health.
Click Here To Apply