The Special Chemistry Laboratory at University of Minnesota Medical Center – East Bank is looking for a fulltime MLS/MT, M-F, 7:30am-4pm, weekdays and rotating weekend and holidays.
This position will perform duties in the Drug Analysis and Biochemical genetics area of Special Chemistry using chromatography and lab developed testing.
We offer competitive Benefits , including Tuition Assistance and Reimbursement
For more on University of Minnesota Medical Center – East Bank, click here.
The Medical Laboratory Scientist/Medical Technologist (MLS/MT) functions independently in performing all major work responsibilities of professional laboratory practice. A MLS/MT performs a wide variety of complex diagnostic and therapeutic testing, and acts as a resource for problem resolution and interpretation of results. The MLS/MT correlates data based on clinical knowledge, technical expertise, and other conditions affecting test results. The MLS/MT collaborates with the customers of the laboratory to promote customer satisfaction. The MLS/MT participates in laboratory performance improvement activities.
Follows established guidelines to obtain specimens and prioritize work.
- Obtains specimens from patients of all ages and degrees of physical and/or mental disability.
- Properly verifies patient identity.
- Assesses integrity of all specimens for testing.
- Verifies correct identification of specimens before testing.
- Follows established guidelines for determining priority of specimen testing and procurement
Recognizes problems and takes appropriate measures to resolve them.
- Acts as a resource for problem solving, corrective action and troubleshooting for lab procedures and unexpected events in lab operations.
- Initiates proper safety or emergency responses.
- Consults with supervisor if unable to resolve issues.
- Exercises critical thinking to maintain and improve department productivity and efficiencies.
Evaluates testing results for accuracy and appropriate intervention.
- Determine if test results fall within normal parameters and reporting protocols. Recognizes age-specific reference ranges.
- Correlates data based on clinical knowledge, technical expertise and other conditions affecting test results.
- Takes appropriate action to recheck abnormal, discrepant, or unexpected results.
- Directly communicates abnormal and critical results to care giver.
- Obtains information from caregivers to resolve reasons for incongruent results (physiologic or methodologic).
Demonstrates understanding of and commitment to Laboratory Quality Assurance, Performance Improvement and Laboratory Compliance Programs.
- Documents deviations and action taken.
- Documents reagent, test kit and calibrator checks.
- Recognizes and communicates values and trends that exceed the QC decision levels. Takes action to resolve and consults with supervisor as needed.
- Participates in the lab Performance improvement program by collecting data, reviewing the results and implementing corrective action recommendations.
- Documents compliance with regulations of governmental or voluntary regulatory agencies.
- Collaborates with the customers of the laboratory to promote customer satisfaction.
Orients and mentors new employees and students.
- Participates in orienting individuals in routine and complex testing methodology, instrumentation, and information systems.
- Checks work prior to release.
- Completes training checklists and evaluations as appropriate.
- Reports progress and problems to supervisor/manager.
Demonstrates ability to provide care or service adjusting approaches to reflect developmental level and cultural differences of population served.
- Bachelor’s in a related laboratory field including the related lab practicum or equivalent routes as specified in CLIA ’88.
- Possess or be eligible to receive appropriate laboratory certification (ASCP). If not certified, must obtain certification within 1 year of hire.
- Prefer BS in Medical Laboratory Science or Medical Technology
- Experience in Special Chemistry
Other Required Skills
- Attention to detail
- Good organizational skills
- Demonstrate the ability to work under stress in a variety of situations
- Ability to exercise independent judgment
Click Here To Apply