The Yukon-Kuskokwim Health Corporation (YKHC) is located in the Southwestern Alaska town of Bethel, with a total of approximately 6,000 people. YKHC supports 1500 employees, providing the health services to a primarily Yup’ik Eskimo Native population for an area the size of Oregon. Services are provided through a Bethel located hospital and 50 clinics throughout the YK Delta.
Creates and maintains dental assistant training programs and adjudication systems, coordinate Dental Assistant Apprenticeships, assist in Dental Assistant career development, arrange and provide continuing Dental Assistant education, as well as perform the normal duties of a Dental Assistant in a dental clinic setting.
- Certified Dental Assistant (CDA) or Expanded Functions Dental Assistant (EFDA) required. Training experience required. Formal leadership training preferred.
- At least two years of experience as a dental assistant required. Some training experience required. Five years of Dental Assistant and/or Dental Hygiene experience preferred. Has thorough understanding of dental assisting for both general dentistry and all YK specialty groups, including but not limited to orthodontics, pediatrics, endodontics, oral surgery, and prosthodontics. Supervisory experience strongly preferred.
- CDA, EFDA certificate and/or Alaska License to practice as a Registered Dental Hygienist, or a Registered Dental Hygienist serving as a Commission Corps Officer preferred. Current dental radiology certificate. Current BLS/CPR certification. Valid driver’s license and ability to drive company vehicles.
- Dental equipment and instruments.
- Has full understanding of IHS radiology guidelines and Standard Operating Procedures.
- LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read and comprehend complex instructions, correspondences, and memos. Ability to write complex correspondences using modern software such as Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Visio, etc. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization. Ability to create competencies measures that are fair and without bias. Competencies should have grading keys and will require annual updates to maintain their validity.
- MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to complete simple math that includes all units of measure and uses whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs. Able to teach others how to compare ratios, fractions, for use in dental procedures such as pouring alginate, stone, etc.
- TYPING SKILLS: Able to type sixty (60) words per minute.
- OTHER: Work with corporate training and development to develop and update the DA training curriculum and schedule. The development of this program should include clear, organized instructional materials relevant to our organization. Exams should be created that are relevant to on-the-job skills, with difficulty to qualify assistants for various changes in position in their assistant ladder.
- The DA coordinator will serve as the primary facilitator of new DA on recruitment, selection, and onboarding.
- Maintains dental assistant job development tree.
- Able to create workshops and agendas for weekly meetings. These workshops should address current problem areas for the clinic and/or dental assistants.
- Provide on-the-job training and monitor DA(s) performance and competence within the first 90 days of employment.
- Develops a system or rubric to monitor skill development of dental assistants throughout their 90 day training period. Creates interventions to assist in weak areas as needed. Ensure DA(s) obtain the knowledge, skills and abilities to work with clinic equipment, computer equipment, dental charts, and village equipment.
- Maintain a full understanding of the YKHC Employee Handbook, IHS Radiology
- Guidelines, Standard Operating procedures, Safety Policy, Hazardous Communications Program and Exposure Plan and ensure DA(s) also understand.
- Assist in the advertising, screening and interviewing of qualified applicants for the Dental Assistant (DA) positions and make hiring recommendations to the Office Manager .
- Generous PTO – beginning at 4.5 weeks
- Ten paid holidays
- Comprehensive healthcare coverage
- Life and Disability Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement plans
- Employee Wellness Center
Yukon Kuskokwim Health Corporation is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, and any other basis protected by law. Individuals with disabilities needing assistance in the recruitment process are encouraged to contact Human Resources directly.
Preference is given to Alaska Native/American Indian applicants according to the provisions of P.L. 93-638.
Working Together to Achieve Excellent Health
For more information, please contact YKHC Recruitment at: [email protected] or 1-907-543-6060 and ask to speak with a recruiter. If you would like more information about our organization and positions available please visit our website at www.ykhc.org .
Click Here To Apply