$$ Sign On Bonus Eligible $$
CNC is a front-line care provider as well as a coordinator and leader for the healthcare team. Within the nursing paradigm, the CNC applies the nursing process at the point of care through the strategic assessment, diagnosis, intervention, and evaluation of the unit as a whole to guide efforts for systematic, quality, and safety improvements. A critical component of the CNC role centers on improving effective interdisciplinary communication and coordination at the point of care. As a care-delivery-systems expert, the CNC helps patients and families navigate the complex healthcare system; advocates for both patients and families, as well healthcare providers, working within the unit, the hospital, and the system. The CNC is accountable for improving care delivery within a unique healthcare delivery setting. The core focus for CNC practice centers on maximizing safe, quality, evidence-based care within the complex systems.
Actively promotes a Lean work culture by performing team member duties to encourage consistent use of LEAN principles and processes, including continually seeking work process improvements. Recognizes the necessity of taking ownership of one’s own motivation, morale, performance and professional development. Strives for behavior consistent with being committed to Excela’s missions, vision and values.
- Staff Nurses, Unit Clerks, Technical Partners, ALS Technicians, Nursing Assistants
Essential Functions: Defined as duties specific to the job, that, if removed, would change the entire purpose of the job; to include the Essential Physical Demands and Essential Working Conditions of this position.
- Core Essential Functions:
- Regular, consistent, on-site, and timely attendance.
- Leads, motivates, initiates change and assumes responsibility for professional growth and development.
- Models and exemplifies the Leadership Pledge in a consistent and proactive manner. Leads change in a complex care environment.
- Assumes role of the Manager (Nurse Manager if applicable) in his/her absence.
- Aligns department with strategy map and continually works to implement drivers in support of Excela Health mission and vision and values.
- Makes a recommendation for at least one process improvement initiative for department on an annual basis.
- Participates in root cause analysis of reoccurring problems and takes appropriate action.
- Holds oneself accountable for leadership development by 8 hours of EHA sponsored leadership education per year.
- Assists manager in departmental activities, represents department on committees.
- Standards and Accountability, Service Orientation and Customer Service.
- Assists manager to assure staff completes PPDs on a timely basis.
- Maintains a safe working environment; assures staff comply with safety, environmental and infection control guidelines.
- Assists manager to assure completion of mandatory annual education and competencies relative to job-specific criteria within department (staff licenses/registration).
- Supports standards of attendance policy consistently (unscheduled absences, breaks or meal periods) to all department staff.
- Participates in decision making with Manager (Nurse Manager where applicable) to consistently apply corrective action standards.
- Supports staff to comply with infection control and safety measures set forth by Excela Health.
- Practices and encourages survey readiness in compliance with agency regulations and guidelines.
- Demonstrates expectations of confidentiality by continually encouraging staff to keep private information confidential.
- Performs in accordance with Excela Health’s behavioral standards in support of the mission, vision, true north and values. Hold staff accountable for modeling the behavioral standards.
- May and can conduct client service recovery issues within required time frame and to the satisfaction of the customer.
- Planning, Decision Making, Financial Management, Process Management, Prioritizing and Delegating
- Involves staff in decision making and problem solving.
- Considers global implementations of decisions made; involves all appropriate departments and individuals for optimal outcome.
- Is knowledgeable of and works within the department budgets; looks for opportunities to reduce operating costs while balancing quality resources.
- Identifies and recommends revenues enhancement opportunities.
- Provides input in performance appraisals and hiring decisions. May conduct interviews with Manager and/or Leadership and utilizes the peer interview process.
- Assists manager(s) to promptly investigate and resolve SORs and incident reports as necessary.
- Acts on most urgent tasks; available resources and provides clear direction.
- Recommends and may draft department policies and procedures.
- In collaboration with the manager (where applicable) provides input for performance goals of staff; coaches toward compliance and addresses variance.
- Provides opportunities for staff to actively provide input into decision-making process. Seeks input before decision is made.
- Assists Manager with communication and maintaining a department communication board for the purpose of displaying current information.
- Interventional Radiology Department (where applicable) will participate and lead daily meetings.
- Developing People and Managing Relationships
- Participates in decision making with Managers (Nurse Manager if applicable) to hire, transfer and promote employees.
- Trains and develops other employees.
- Updates stakeholders on project process; uses sound judgment.
- Facilitates teamwork through coaching and mentoring of staff. Serves as a resource for other employees.
- Builds trust through fostering empowerment and shared decision making within the appropriate level and scope of authority.
- Clinical Practice
- Oversees the daily clinical practice activities to ensure that patient care is delivered in accordance with the PA Nurse Practice Act, hospital policies, procedures, and protocols, and other professional standards of care.
- Regularly reviews a sampling of patient charts to evaluate staff compliance with the nursing process and for completeness, accuracy and timeliness of documentation.
- Conducts daily patient rounds to assess the status of the patients and the quality of care delivered (not applicable in Bariatric).
- Monitors patient care to ensure that it is planned and provided through an interdisciplinary effort.
- Regularly accompanies and/or communicates with physicians on rounds to answer questions and resolve problems/issues related to medical treatment.
- Assigns patient care according to staff competency.
- Provides direct patient care as assigned.
- Where applicable for Bariatric, facilitates and maintains Task Force initiatives.
- Coordination of Patient Care Activities
- Develops an educational process for the provision and coordination of patient care activities that promote and maintain health, fosters self-care, and improves outcomes.
- Assists in the coordination of the educational process to ensure that patients/families and staff receive education specific to their clinical areas and the patients/families served.
- Ensures the process includes education about safely and the effective use of medication, pain and managing pain, available resources, how to obtain further care, and information about their responsibilities in their care.
- Plans and implements patient/family teaching and monitors staff compliance with the interdisciplinary record of patient education.
- Provides and reviews written discharge instructions that demonstrate an inter-relationship between education, discharge planning and continuity of care.
- Collaborative Relationships
- Maintains a collaborative relationship with physicians and other health care providers to achieve desired patient outcomes and assure a continuous flow of patient care.
- Communicates pertinent information for interdisciplinary patient care (conferences, shift reports and internal and external transfers are respective to the nursing areas) not applicable for Bariatric Surgery)).
- Takes action to proactively identify and resolve patient needs.
- Patient Safety
- Provides for patient safety in compliance with hospital and/or nursing department policies.
- Utilizes two forms of patient identification before implementing any form of patient care.
- Involves the patient and/or family in patient safety standards and processes.
- Minimizes the use of patient restraints and, if patient’s condition warrants, monitors per individual assessed need and documents per policy (not applicable for Bariatric Surgery).
- Assumes appropriate code team role during code situations or mock codes, or RRT’s (not applicable for Bariatric Surgery).
- Responds effectively during emergency situations, including internal and external disasters.
- Specialty Essential Functions:
- CNC functions in compliance with the specialty standards, practice guidelines and protocols to the assigned unit.
- Marginal Functions: Defined as duties that are not essential in nature and do not take a considerable amount of time to complete (less than 10%).
- Performs other duties as required.
- Required Skills and Knowledge: Minimum level of education, skills and abilities necessary in performing the job.
Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing (BSN); Effective January 1, 2015 required BSN with hire, transfer into department or obtain within four (4) years from date of hire or transfer
- Graduate of an accredited Nursing Program
Certification / Licensure / Regulation:
- Current licensure to practice as a Registered Nurse in the State of Pennsylvania
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) approved curriculum of the American Heart Association (CPR and AED) program.
- PA Act 153 Clearances (Act 34-PA Criminal Record Check from the PA State Police system, Act 33-PA Child Abuse History obtained through the Department of Public Welfare, Act 73-FBI Fingerprint screening)
- Minimum of 1 (one) year relevant nursing experience.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Requires a strong knowledge of nursing practice and leadership qualities that demonstrate the ability to delegate the delivery of care to others; ability to communicate with all health care team members.
These are job related enhancements that are preferred or would benefit the performance outcome of the job but are not essential or required for the job to exist.
- National certification in area of specialty, previous charge nurse experience helpful.
The above job descriptive information is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities, as an employee may be assigned other duties other than described in this document.
Click Here To Apply