Requisition ID: MED003737
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the Spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its Legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world’s premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we’re doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck’s leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
Position Overview – Basic Functions & Responsibility:
The Executive Director (ED) is accountable for the development and execution of scientific & medical affairs plans for their assigned Therapy Areas (TA). They lead a team of TA dedicated global and regional directors [and associate directors]. The ED engages with global scientific leaders and key decision makers. The ED partners with Product Development Team leaders and Global Brand leaders. They collaborate with the Center of Real-World Evidence (CORE), Policy and Market Access. This is a headquarters based position in Merck Research Laboratories Global Medical Affairs (MRL GMA).
- Leads the annual scientific & medical plan [in collaboration with the Global Directors Scientific Affairs] that guide TA scientific exchange (input and output) of all MRL GMA staff globally
- Leads cross-functional Scientific Medical and Research Teams to realize scientific value creation through responsive scientific leader interactions, a unified scientific/medical understanding and viewpoint, and aligned scientific exchange execution
- Partners with Product Development Team, Global Brand and Center of Real-World Evidence leads to define clinical development plans and brand strategies for assigned TAs [tumor types]
- Provides a solid understanding of how countries’ medical systems and standards of care have to change to accept new innovation, how to introduce the new innovation and how to implement and maintain its use
- Leads the team in consolidating actionable medical insights from countries and regions to inform company decisions
- Leads the team in engagement with international scientific leaders and other key stakeholders (therapeutic guideline committees, payers, public groups, government officials, medical societies) about Merck’s emerging science
- Ensures all scientific exchange for their TA is aligned with a single global scientific communications platform
- Drives global, regional and key country expert input events to answer Merck’s questions how to develop and implement new medicines [vaccines]: advisory boards and expert input forums
- Ensures team contributes as relevant members to the Product Development sub-teams (Value Evidence, Clinical, Commercial, Publications and Label teams)
- Aligns medical plans and activities with Global Human Health (commercial) leaders
- Organizes regular management reviews of the team’s activities and progress
- Drives global and regional symposia and educational meetings
- Supports Center of Real-World Evidence (CORE) data generation and coordinates local data generation studies with CORE
- Supports the investigator-initiated study program
- Manages talent across variety of cultures, languages and backgrounds
- Leads talent review process and demonstrate follow through on Development Plans for Key Talent
- Creates action plans to ensure healthy succession pools for leadership positions within the teams and in MRL GMA
- MD and recognized scientific expertise
- Extensive experience in Medical Affairs or Clinical Development
- Strong prioritization and decision-making skills with the ability to understand how decisions fit into the broader context of corporate strategies
- Demonstrated ability to motivate, mentor, manage and provide clear, unambiguous expectations and priorities for the teams
- In a Matrix environment, able to effectively collaborate with and influence partners across divisions
- Excellent interpersonal, analytical, communication (written as well as oral), in addition to results oriented project management skills
- Travel: 30%
- A minimum of 5 years pharmaceutical (or related) Industry experience in the global or US arena with proven track record of contribution to medical or clinical development strategies
- Customer expertise especially scientific leadership and other key stakeholders (payers, public groups, government officials, medical professional organizations) in the assigned therapeutic area
- Proven ability to effectively influence company life cycle management, and data generation
- Understanding of resourcing and budgeting
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to (see below) .
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of it’s manifestations.
Job: Medical Affairs – MD ONC
Other Locations: US; Upper Gwynedd, PA, US; Rahway, NJ, US
Employee Status: Regular
Number of Openings: 3
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck
To Apply to this Job, Please go to the website address given in the source.